best language to progam a game with?

Started by
24 comments, last by daedalus0x1a4 14 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Quote:Original post by Scionwest
It depends on the kind of game you are wanting to develop. If it's something simple then java would work, but I would use a managed language such as VB.NET or C#. The C# syntax is closer to Java's than VB. You'll see a major performance boost moving to a .NET language instead of staying with Java for a game.

What are you smoking and where are you getting your information from?

Have I been sorely misinformed? It was my understanding that the 'managed' portion of the .net languages was in part the same concepts that Java used.

How is VB.net or C# going to magically give a 'major performance boost' over Java?

That assumption was based off past experiences developing in Java using Eclipse. The IDE was slower than VS at the time, which was roughly 3 years ago, and maybe I was doing things wrong, but the JRE started slowly when I was using it. Granted I haven't touched it for a few years and have upgraded my PC's several times since then but that is where I am getting my information from.

No need to take my statements personal. A simple 'You are misinformed' would have sufficed.
Advertisement
While I might have worded it softer, I think "For Beginners" deserves extra attention to detail. If you are not sure what you are talking about, here it is better to stay silent.

Far too many beginners become infected with notions about particular programming languages being "fast" or "slow" without really understanding that this is irrelevant to them. There are no popular languages today that are too "slow" to write fun games in, excepting perhaps the AAAA 4-D Quantum-Threaded Super-Massive Multi-Player games that beginners are unlikely to start out making.
My understanding is that Java and .NET have roughly the same performance on Windows. There may be some differences, but I don't think it is enough to be noticeable by a human.
I can't speak for Eclipse on Windows, or for Visual Studio, but on my Ubuntu box (now five years old) Eclipse is pretty snappy and only needs about 100 MB RAM (less than Firefox). For all the things that are going on in the background to support Eclipse's complex feature set, that's a bargain.
A little bit off topic but Elcipse seems to be (slowly) losing favour, I would suggest trying NetBeans or IntelliJ if you want an IDE for Java. I find the user experience to be more consistent and efficient.

Back on topic, if you are starting out I would suggest sticking with what you know (java?) unless you specifically want to learn another language or engine.
Both Eclipse and NetBeans are powerful (and I happen to like some of the Eclipse features more), but are current popularity trends a reason to switch? And what are you basing this on, anyway? >_>
Quote:Original post by rip-off
While I might have worded it softer, I think "For Beginners" deserves extra attention to detail. If you are not sure what you are talking about, here it is better to stay silent.

I thought i knew what i was talking about, and now I stand corrected.
Quote:Both Eclipse and NetBeans are powerful (and I happen to like some of the Eclipse features more), but are current popularity trends a reason to switch? And what are you basing this on, anyway? >_>

Okay one more off topic(ish) post :)

Trend is just based on what I have seen/heard recently, absolutely not based on any well measured empirical data. I recently started using NetBeans for some personal projects (after it was recommended by a few of ourdev guys) and in my experience I have found it to be a touch more user friendly and a little more stable than Eclipse.

Given that Eclipse has such a big market share it can't hurt to give the alternatives a plug right?
http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/
Quote:Original post by taijianT
it can't hurt to give the alternatives a plug right?

Of course not, I usually mention both together when recommending a Java IDE anyway, and I'd mention IDEA if I had any familiarity with it - no intention to start an IDE war here ^_^. But when you come out with statements like that, you better be ready to back them up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement