Which game library?

Started by
7 comments, last by Azzazil 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi! I want programming games but I need some simple library where I get fast result and which is better for beginner as me. [Edited by - Azzazil on November 9, 2009 1:30:10 PM]
Advertisement
Use XNA, microsoft based, used for development on PC and xbox. Simlifies the process so it is easier then c++ (it's c#).

PureBlackSin
For Games, Articles and Custom High End Computers, come visit.Myndoko
Quote:Original post by PureBlackSin
Use XNA, microsoft based, used for development on PC and xbox. Simlifies the process so it is easier then c++ (it's c#).

PureBlackSin

If you have some experiance making game mods and using game editing tools then yes, download Microsofts C# and then get XNA and read through the sites documentation.

If you haven't ever touched any game modding tools or existing game engines, I would suggest messing with existing game engines to learn how things flow first. It will help give you a better understanding on how your project should be developed, giving a good idea of how the mechanics of everything works.

There are two major options that I would recommend. Unity and Unreal Development Kit which is a free version of the Unreal Engine 3 technology.

Spend some time messing with them, writing some scripts and learning the ends and outs of building a game before you embark on creating one from scratch yourself.

PureBlackSin

yes i heard for xna but i didn't learn c#
Quote:Original post by Scionwest

PureBlackSin

If you have some experiance making game mods and using game editing tools then yes, download Microsofts C# and then get XNA and read through the sites documentation.

If you haven't ever touched any game modding tools or existing game engines, I would suggest messing with existing game engines to learn how things flow first. It will help give you a better understanding on how your project should be developed, giving a good idea of how the mechanics of everything works.

There are two major options that I would recommend. Unity and Unreal Development Kit which is a free version of the Unreal Engine 3 technology.

Spend some time messing with them, writing some scripts and learning the ends and outs of building a game before you embark on creating one from scratch yourself.

thx but i want first learn how to programming 2d games,only if this UDK or U3D simple to learn then i choose one of them

Quote:Original post by Azzazil
Quote:Original post by Scionwest

PureBlackSin

thx but i want first learn how to programming 2d games,only if this UDK or U3D simple to learn then i choose one of them

XNA is probably your best bet but no matter what you do it will require much more effort then you may think. If you really want to make a nice simple 2D game expect it to take anywhere from 2 months - 2 years and for anything more complex expect it to take much much longer...
Remember Codeka is my alternate account, just remember that!
I have one problem my graphics card doesn't support shader 2.0, so I can't programming games in XNA. I research and I find some alternative API like SFML and SDL, what you think which is better.
Some popular 2D game engines and libraries -

Haaf's Game Engine - Requires C++ knowledge, free
Pygame - Requires Python knowledge, free
Game Maker - Requires you to learn GML (proprietary scripting language), free for lite version, pay for pro version (cheap though)
Torque2D - Requires you to learn TorqueScript (proprietary scripting language), pay (most expensive of this bunch, but also provides the most extensive toolset)

Home this helps :)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
tnx :)
my opinion is that Haaf's Game Engine is best for me because I have already know C/C++,what you think how much time i need spend to programming something like pong,snake or tetris with this game engine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement