Sign in to follow this  
grill8

Questions about handling volumetric lighting in a game engine.

grill8    148
Hello, I have questions about handling volumetric lighting in a game engine. I would like to have volumetric lighting in my game engine but can only find sparse information on the topic in the internet. I found an article from GPU Gems 3 about a post processing effect for approximating volumetric lighting of clouds. That one seemed simple to implement but it seems to be suitable only for clouds and large open scenes (not light shafts through windows etc. which is what I would like). I could be wrong about that though. If you have seen the results of the article I would love some input about your experience with the technique. I also found an article on NVidia about volumetric lighting but the documentation was sparse and the code was very difficult to decipher. I could not view the results on my computer so I do not know if it is exactly what I need. Questions: 1) If you have seen the results of either article could I please receive some input as to the pros/cons of the effects and their suitability for an indoor/outdoor game engine? 2) Do you know of other places with information on the subject of volumetric lighting? 3) If you have experience programming volumetric lighting, could I please receive some input as to your experience in the subject? 4) Are the effects listed above feasible in real time? Thank you, Jeremy