[D3D11] Inane API overhead(?)

Started by
4 comments, last by mightypigeon 14 years, 5 months ago
Anyone worked with the Aug'09 version of D3D11 much? I'm getting (what I consider to be) obscene amounts of overhead-- about 52fps just clearing and displaying the backbuffer. Granted there's a single CopyResource() call in there for MRT/offscreen buffer testing, but this does not appear to be a bottleneck as I can create a 4xMSAA target, resolve it and not see a bit of speed difference. App is running in release mode, the debug layers of the device are disabled and vsync is off. I was expecting *some* performance dips, but going from several thousand frames per second with earlier stuff (i.e. D3D10) to double digits is just 'WTF.' This is on a Radeon HD 5870, BTW.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
Advertisement
I don't think comparing the "performance" of a blank screen is useful, you really need to test actual triangles being drawn. You could probably test some of the DirectX samples that come in the SDK perhaps?
Not much better. The multithreaded rendering sample clocks in at an average of 30-45fps depending on viewing angle and distance. ATi's driver prowess at work?
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
I've been doing some work with D3D11 , I currently render just a terrain with 24k vertices approximately , using a simple normal mapping shader , I'm getting around 500fps with a 8600M GT. It's probably faulty drivers.
I think that settles it then. *sigh* My thanks for all your time.
Definitely sounds like something weird in the drivers. I have a ~20k scene rendered to a floating point target at around 1000 fps on 9800GTX+, so it's nothing to do with the api.
[size="1"]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement