Sign in to follow this  
Jord_JW

Beginners on C++

Hey, I'm new to all this stuff, I've started on C++ and have the book 'C++ for Dummies'. I've been told it was a bad choise but its getting me somewere at least and keeping me busy. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone new to C++ like me would want to learn together and share info, experienced programmers to C++ also welcome to help. =D

Remember that we folks at gamedev.net are a friendly bunch and will be glad to help you out when you're stuck. You can either post here in the forums or talk to us on #gamedev at irc.freenode.net irc.afternet.org (online chat). When posting or asking, please detail what you've already tried. As you read, don't forget to supplement your knowledge by reading the numerous C++ articles here on gamedev.

C++ is also an powerful and unforgiving language and is rough on beginners. [smile]
Good luck!

[Edited by - _fastcall on November 8, 2009 5:38:39 PM]

C++ isn't the most ideal choice for a first language; however, it's more important to pick something and stick with it than it is to waffle around changing your mind constantly.

I'm not too keen on the "For Dummies" books though; I would recommend you take a look at "C++: A Dialog" and "Thinking in C++." Both are freely available online, so they won't set you back anything.

Quote:

#gamedev at irc.freenode.net (online chat).

The IRC channel is actually on irc.afternet.org (at least, the official one is), not FreeNode.

[Edited by - jpetrie on November 9, 2009 10:19:47 AM]

If you're going to learn C++ then I highly reccommend antiRTFM's video tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/user/antiRTFM

They really helped me learn how to think in terms of object oriented programming and to understand how everything works together. Instead of my old mindset, focussing on what something can immediately produce, like generic programming.

I'm also reading "C++ Primer Plus" which is a very thick and thurough book. Full of review questions and practice programs.

As for graphics libraries. I fooled around with Allegro, I didn't like it's appearance. SDL, pretty good but it just didn't feel right. Recently I was told about SFML (Simple and Fast Multimedia Library).

http://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php

It's a fairly lightwheight library that has window creation, graphics functions, a handy sprite class, simple but powerful event system, easy input system. They have very good documentation on their website. I would call it the "BlitzBasic of C++", if the Blitz3D SDK didn't already exist. :P

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
would recommend you take a look at "C++: A Dialog" and "Thinking in C++." Both are freely available only, so they won't set you back anything.

I've never read the latter; but C++: A Dialog is available online here, and I second that recommendation.