Sign in to follow this  
Svalorzen

[Shmup] What graphic library?

Hello all! =D In this days I've been wanting to make a shmup, on the lines of the Touhou Project ( a video is [here] ) My idea is doing it in C++, but I'm not quite sure with what should I do the graphics. I already know quite well the SDL, but I'm not really sure it would fit the project ( because of all the rotating images, effects and so on ).. What should I do? Maybe learn DirectDraw? Or another graphic library? Or maybe the SDL are already powerful enough and I'm just paranoid? Thanks in advance! ^_^

If you are wanting to use C++ there are several graphics libraries available out there for you to use, or complete engine sdk's to help you out. You can try out Ogre 3D or Irrlicht both of which have really nice API's that you can use.

Another suggestion is the Allegro game library. It's not as feature rich, but it is cross-platform and works decently when I was messing with it a few years back.

SFML is a comparable option to SDL with better support for rotation and simple effects, or if you're looking for something higher-level you could try Haaf's Game Engine. The above mentioned Allegro would also be more than capable of what you want to do.

In addition to those options you could also consider using either SFML or SDL for windowing and input and then doing your graphics work in OpenGL (easy to do with either library) or DirectX (there are some resources out there for doing this with SDL, with SFML it would take quite some work to get set up).

Quote:
Original post by Scionwest
You can try out Ogre 3D or Irrlicht both of which have really nice API's that you can use.
Both of those would work and are good options for a 3d project, but I personally feel they're probably overkill for a simpler 2d project like the OP wants to try.

Quote:
Original post by jbadams
]Both of those would work and are good options for a 3d project, but I personally feel they're probably overkill for a simpler 2d project like the OP wants to try.
I agree 100% and I raise my hand as well for GL. Looking at the video, it looks like this could be essentially GL2.0 or less. GL2 was still a rather spiffy api at the time, so consider giving it a go.