Is Dev-C++ any good?

Started by
5 comments, last by SikCiv 22 years, 8 months ago
In the new APC (Aus PC mag) they included a free C++ compiler called Dev-C++ by bloodshed Software, I tried to convert my MS-VC game to Dev-C++ but it wouldnt compile since my game uses alot of Microsoft VC++ Libs and headers so I couldnt really test it out. Has anyone used this compiler? Is it any good? Does it work with DirectX?

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Advertisement
If I were you, I wouldn''t bother used Dev-C++, MSVC is probably way better (considering you have to pay for it). The only reason I''m using Dev-C++ is because I''ve just started programming, so I don''t want to buy MSVC just yet...

Anonymous Programmer
Anonymous Programmer
yo uve gotta b a fag to think that free compilers suck... ive never tried dev-c++ but usually free compilers are better because they dont have all those extra dlls for debugging and shit. Generally when you get VC or something like that u never think of paying for the compiler, you are more like paying for the IDE. I would choose LCC over VC any day if i was programming in C. Ill check out dev-c++ if i ever get time myself.
Sup..I''ve tried Dev-C++,and it is really good for DOS and Win32 programming..but when it was time for me to start using DirectX all that changed..with Dev-C++ you are not able to use DirectX from the SDK..you have to get some specially made libs and headers..which in my opinion is a waste of time and more difficulty to settings up DirectX then it already is..If you have to use a free compiler(due to lack of funds) I suggest you use Borland C++ Builder 5.5,you can download it from their website,that is what I am now using..It comes with its on DirectX 7.0 lib and headers..it is a little difficult to set up and you have to use notepad(I use this now, it is good, I thought I was not going to like writting code in it)..If you decide to use it(it is about 8mb to download)Holla..and I will point you to a place that is top-notch for setting it up,it shows you everything..so just write another post if you want use it and I will give you the address to some good websites..Alright..PEACE!!
"For many are called,But few are chosen"...
Well my games are all using DX8 and Im currently using VC so Ill stick to that, time to hit the Add/Remove Programs folder ....

I use Dev-C++, and it''s fine in the way of debugging and compiling. It''s not hard to get DX8 libs for it, either. I am currently playing around with basic DirectX ideas with it.

But in the end, it doesn''t make that much difference which compiler you choose. Some might optimise better than others, but all are good for learning the language.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
yo uve gotta b a fag to think that free compilers suck... ive never tried dev-c++ but usually free compilers are better because they dont have all those extra dlls for debugging and shit. Generally when you get VC or something like that u never think of paying for the compiler, you are more like paying for the IDE. I would choose LCC over VC any day if i was programming in C. Ill check out dev-c++ if i ever get time myself.

I never said that free compilers suck, and even if I did, how does that make me homosexual?...

Anonymous Programmer
Anonymous Programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement