[SOLVED] D3D11 and Direct2D

Started by
13 comments, last by DieterVW 14 years, 5 months ago
Greetings! (Before we begin, yes - I've searched on these forums for answers, they've not fully helped though) Having recently acquired a brand new computer with windows 7 and a dx11 graphics card - I wanted to finally get started implementing the dx11-only stuff I've been waiting to do for quite some time now. (Tesselation, Compute Shaders etc. Worth mentioning is that I've recently converted from OpenGL to D3D, so a lot of this stuff is new to me) However, getting Direct2D and D3D11 to work together seem to be quite a hassle. I planned on using D2D and DWrite for text and UI stuff as they seem to provide some really neat stuff. However, where all the samples show neatly how to acquire the backbuffer into a DXGI surface for use with Direct2D; for some reason, this doesn't seem to work with a D3D11 device at all (not even using feature level 10_1). I understand that there exists what I would call a "hack" to get this working (using 2 devices, shared full-screen surfaces and sync-mutexes, resulting in ugly, error-prone code - frame delays and unnecessary video memory going to waste *yuck*). However, I haven't gotten this to work either (OpenSharedResource seem to return E_INVALIDARG no matter what args I pass in.), not that I think it's the way forward at all. I don't have access to the code right now, but if someone has the energy to help me through that I'll post it tonight. Also, it doesn't seem to matter in what order I include headers and libraries - CreateDxgiSurfaceRenderTarget always return E_NOINTERFACE when trying to use the D3D11 device backbuffer instead of the double-device method. This should (?) mean that I'm using the wrong or mixed headers/libs - but I've tried getting them all from DXSDK_DIR (August 2009) or from the WinSDK (7.0A) to no avail. Is there any way to check which headers/libs are actually getting used? I'm using Visual Studio 2010 beta 2. I installed the DXSDK after the WinSDK if that matters at all. Another possible(?) solution: I have also attempted to use a hwndrendertarget until proper D3D11 support is added in as it doesn't require additional devices or mutexes and it renders - but not the way I would want it. (No E_NOINTERFACE result when using this method). The screen flickers between the two presentations irregularly. Isn't the D2D1_PRESENT_OPTIONS_NONE supposed to wait until display refresh? Do I have to turn vsync on for this to happen? Is it the double-buffering of the D3Ddevice that's causing problems? And my final question - is there any way to let the HwndRenderTarget only draw where I draw and not clear the background? (I've tried handling WM_ERASEBKGND but that doesn't seem to affect it at all). Is this method of combining D3D11 and D2D bound to fail? Sorry if some of it is not readable. English isn't my primary language but I've tried my hardest to make it passable. [Edited by - DEVLiN on November 10, 2009 5:32:25 AM]
Advertisement
Have you used the D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_BGRA_SUPPORT flag when creating the device? This is required for Direct2D interoperability. See D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_FLAG in the SDK docs.
AFAIK D3D11/Direct2D interop is not implemented yet, maybe in the next SDK.
Every time you implement a singleton, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens!
There was a long thread about this not long ago, with several posts from someone on the DirectX team, as well as reports from people using it in different ways. If you read it all the way through it should give you a lot of information on this: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=547920.
Quote:Original post by ET3D
Have you used the D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_BGRA_SUPPORT flag when creating the device? This is required for Direct2D interoperability. See D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_FLAG in the SDK docs.

I'm using D3D10_CREATE_DEVICE_BGRA_SUPPORT at the moment. I can change this to D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_BGRA_SUPPORT tonight but I have a feeling it will not matter - sadly. Thanks though!

Erik: I've read it through (thus the 2 devices comment in my original post) - but couldn't get it to work as OpenSharedResource fails with E_INVALIDARG. Definitely a coding error on my behalf due to being relatively new to D3D (coming from OpenGL). And unless I missed it there was no code samples other than the pseudo code ones. Sadly, neither the DXSDK (August 2009) nor the 7.0A WinSDK seem to provide samples for D2D at all unless I missed a setting somewhere. (they do both provide headers and libs for it though *sigh*)

I would rather get the HWND-method working if at all possible rather than the two-device method though. If they do provide proper interop soon enough the HWND-method would only require one #define and two lines change.

It would be nice to get some feedback on "we're working on this" or "not going to happen at all" because if it's soon enough I could work on other parts of the code in the meantime. If not at all, biting the ugly bullet would be the only way.
Quote:Original post by DEVLiN
I'm using D3D10_CREATE_DEVICE_BGRA_SUPPORT at the moment. I can change this to D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_BGRA_SUPPORT tonight but I have a feeling it will not matter - sadly. Thanks though!

I suspect you're right, since they have the same value.

There's a D2D-D3D interop sample here at Microsoft's site. It uses D3D 10.1, which may be good enough for you.

Make sure the D3D11 and D3D10.1 device are created on the same DXGI1.1 adapter, and create the shared texture with render target as well as shader resource usage. Also remember the D3D10.1 device must also use the BGRA flag. For me this doesn't work with feature level 10.0 (I seem to recall there was a mention in the old thread that BGRA was removed in 10.0), and I need to use the 9.3 feature level. On my laptop I must use 9.1.

Here's an example I've tested with, it's just one function creating the resources from top to bottom that you can compare with if you still get errors (it should run pasted to an empty VC++ project). It uses CopyResource to put the D2D content in the back-buffer which you probably don't want, but the set-up is the same and it's a bit less code than setting up shaders to draw it with a quad.
#include <windows.h>#include <D3D11.h>#include <D3D10_1.h>#include <D2D1.h>#include <DXErr.h>#include <DXGI.h>// Libs#pragma comment (lib, "D3D11.lib")#pragma comment (lib, "D3D10_1.lib")#pragma comment (lib, "D2D1.lib")#pragma comment (lib, "DXErr.lib")#pragma comment (lib, "DXGI.lib")LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);// Mainint WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) {	// Register windowclass	WNDCLASSEX wc;	ZeroMemory(&wc, sizeof(wc));	wc.cbSize = sizeof(wc);	wc.lpszClassName = TEXT("MyClass");	wc.hInstance = hInstance;	wc.lpfnWndProc = WndProc;	wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW);	wc.hIcon = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);	RegisterClassEx(&wc);		// Create window	HWND hWnd = CreateWindow(		wc.lpszClassName,		TEXT("D3D11 with Direct2D"),		WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,		CW_USEDEFAULT,		CW_USEDEFAULT,		CW_USEDEFAULT,		CW_USEDEFAULT,		NULL,		NULL,		hInstance,		NULL	);		// Create DXGI factory to enumerate adapters	IDXGIFactory1 *pDXGIFactory;		HRESULT hResult = CreateDXGIFactory1(__uuidof(IDXGIFactory1), (void**)&pDXGIFactory);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("CreateDXGIFactory1"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		// Use the first adapter	IDXGIAdapter1 *pAdapter;		hResult = pDXGIFactory->EnumAdapters1(0, &pAdapter);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("EnumAdapters1"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		pDXGIFactory->Release();		// Create D3D11 device and swapchain	DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC scd;	ID3D11Device *pDevice11;	IDXGISwapChain *pSwapChain;	ID3D11DeviceContext *pImmediateContext;		ZeroMemory(&scd, sizeof(scd));	scd.BufferDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM;	scd.SampleDesc.Count = 1;	scd.BufferUsage = DXGI_USAGE_RENDER_TARGET_OUTPUT;	scd.BufferCount = 1;	scd.OutputWindow = hWnd;	scd.SwapEffect = DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_DISCARD;	scd.Windowed = TRUE;		hResult = D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain(		pAdapter,		D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_UNKNOWN,		NULL,		D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG |			D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_BGRA_SUPPORT |			D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_SINGLETHREADED,		NULL,		0,		D3D11_SDK_VERSION,		&scd,		&pSwapChain,		&pDevice11,		NULL,		&pImmediateContext	);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		// Create D3D10.1 device	ID3D10Device1 *pDevice101;		hResult = D3D10CreateDevice1(		pAdapter,		D3D10_DRIVER_TYPE_HARDWARE,		NULL,		D3D10_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG |			D3D10_CREATE_DEVICE_BGRA_SUPPORT |			D3D10_CREATE_DEVICE_SINGLETHREADED,		D3D10_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3,		D3D10_1_SDK_VERSION,		&pDevice101	);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("D3D10CreateDevice1"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		pAdapter->Release();		// Get the D3D11 back-buffer	ID3D11Texture2D *pBackBuffer11;	D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC backBufferDesc;		hResult = pSwapChain->GetBuffer(0, __uuidof(ID3D11Texture2D), reinterpret_cast<void**>(&pBackBuffer11));	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("pSwapChain->GetBuffer for ID3D11Texture2D"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		pBackBuffer11->GetDesc(&backBufferDesc);		// Create the shared texture to draw D2D content to	D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC sharedTextureDesc;	ID3D11Texture2D *pSharedTexture11;		ZeroMemory(&sharedTextureDesc, sizeof(sharedTextureDesc));	sharedTextureDesc.Width = backBufferDesc.Width;	sharedTextureDesc.Height = backBufferDesc.Height;	sharedTextureDesc.MipLevels = 1;	sharedTextureDesc.ArraySize = 1;	sharedTextureDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM;	sharedTextureDesc.SampleDesc.Count = 1;	sharedTextureDesc.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT;	sharedTextureDesc.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE | D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET;	sharedTextureDesc.MiscFlags = D3D11_RESOURCE_MISC_SHARED_KEYEDMUTEX;		hResult = pDevice11->CreateTexture2D(&sharedTextureDesc, NULL, &pSharedTexture11);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("pDevice11->CreateTexture2D for shared texture"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		// Get the keyed mutex for the shared texture (for D3D11)	IDXGIKeyedMutex *pKeyedMutex11;		hResult = pSharedTexture11->QueryInterface(__uuidof(IDXGIKeyedMutex), (void**)&pKeyedMutex11);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("pSharedTexture11->QueryInterface for IDXGIKeyedMutex"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		// Get the shared handle needed to open the shared texture in D3D10.1	IDXGIResource *pSharedResource11;	HANDLE hSharedHandle11;		hResult = pSharedTexture11->QueryInterface(__uuidof(IDXGIResource), (void**)&pSharedResource11);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("pSharedTexture11->QueryInterface for IDXGIResource"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		pSharedResource11->GetSharedHandle(&hSharedHandle11);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("pSharedResource11->GetSharedHandle"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		pSharedResource11->Release();		// Open the surface for the shared texture in D3D10.1	IDXGISurface1 *pSharedSurface10;		hResult = pDevice101->OpenSharedResource(hSharedHandle11, __uuidof(IDXGISurface1), (void**)(&pSharedSurface10));	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("pDevice101->OpenSharedResource"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		// Get the keyed mutex for the shared texture (for D3D10.1)	IDXGIKeyedMutex *pKeyedMutex10;		hResult = pSharedSurface10->QueryInterface(__uuidof(IDXGIKeyedMutex), (void**)&pKeyedMutex10);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("pSharedSurface10->QueryInterface for IDXGIKeyedMutex"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		// Create D2D factory	ID2D1Factory *pD2DFactory;		hResult = D2D1CreateFactory(D2D1_FACTORY_TYPE_SINGLE_THREADED, __uuidof(ID2D1Factory), (void**)&pD2DFactory);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("D2D1CreateFactory"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		// Create D2D render target from the surface for the shared texture, which was opened in D3D10.1	D2D1_RENDER_TARGET_PROPERTIES renderTargetProperties;	ID2D1RenderTarget *pD2DRenderTarget;		ZeroMemory(&renderTargetProperties, sizeof(renderTargetProperties));	renderTargetProperties.type = D2D1_RENDER_TARGET_TYPE_HARDWARE;	renderTargetProperties.pixelFormat = D2D1::PixelFormat(DXGI_FORMAT_UNKNOWN, D2D1_ALPHA_MODE_PREMULTIPLIED);		hResult = pD2DFactory->CreateDxgiSurfaceRenderTarget(pSharedSurface10, &renderTargetProperties, &pD2DRenderTarget);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("pD2DFactory->CreateDxgiSurfaceRenderTarget"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		pSharedSurface10->Release();	pD2DFactory->Release();		// Create a solid color brush to draw something with	ID2D1SolidColorBrush *pBrush;		hResult = pD2DRenderTarget->CreateSolidColorBrush(D2D1::ColorF(1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f), &pBrush);	if(FAILED(hResult)) {		MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDescription(hResult), TEXT("pD2DRenderTarget->CreateSolidColorBrush"), MB_OK);		return 0;	}		// Tell the debug output to be quiet..	pDevice101->IASetPrimitiveTopology(D3D10_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_POINTLIST);		// Main loop	float angle = 0.0f;		ShowWindow(hWnd, nCmdShow);	while(true) {		MSG msg;		if(PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE) != 0) {			if(msg.message == WM_QUIT)				break;			else {				TranslateMessage(&msg);				DispatchMessage(&msg);			}		}		else {			// Sync the shared texture for D3D10.1			pKeyedMutex10->AcquireSync(0, INFINITE);						// Draw D2D content			angle += 360.0f / 200.0f;						pD2DRenderTarget->BeginDraw();						pD2DRenderTarget->Clear(D2D1::ColorF(0.0f, 0.7f, 0.0f, 1.0f));						D2D1_SIZE_F size = pD2DRenderTarget->GetSize();						pD2DRenderTarget->SetTransform(D2D1::Matrix3x2F::Rotation(angle, D2D1::Point2F(size.width/2.0f, size.height/2.0f)));						pBrush->SetColor(D2D1::ColorF(1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f));			pD2DRenderTarget->DrawEllipse(				D2D1::Ellipse(D2D1::Point2F(size.width/2.0f, size.height/2.0f), size.height/3.0f, size.height/3.0f),				pBrush,				32.0f,				NULL			);						pBrush->SetColor(D2D1::ColorF(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f));			pD2DRenderTarget->DrawEllipse(				D2D1::Ellipse(D2D1::Point2F(size.width/4.0f, size.height/2.0f), size.height/4.0f, size.height/4.0f),				pBrush,				32.0f,				NULL			);						pBrush->SetColor(D2D1::ColorF(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f));			pD2DRenderTarget->DrawEllipse(				D2D1::Ellipse(D2D1::Point2F(size.width*3.0f/4.0f, size.height/2.0f), size.height/4.0f, size.height/4.0f),				pBrush,				32.0f,				NULL			);						pD2DRenderTarget->EndDraw();						// Release sync			pKeyedMutex10->ReleaseSync(1);									// Sync the shared texture for D3D11			pKeyedMutex11->AcquireSync(1, INFINITE);						// Copy the content from the shared texture to the back-buffer			pImmediateContext->CopyResource(pBackBuffer11, pSharedTexture11);						// Release sync			pKeyedMutex11->ReleaseSync(0);									// Present to screen			pSwapChain->Present(1, 0);		}	}		// Release	pSwapChain->SetFullscreenState(FALSE, NULL);		pImmediateContext->ClearState();		pBrush->Release();	pD2DRenderTarget->Release();		pKeyedMutex10->Release();	pKeyedMutex11->Release();	pSharedTexture11->Release();	pBackBuffer11->Release();		pImmediateContext->Flush();		pDevice101->Release();		pImmediateContext->Release();	pSwapChain->Release();	pDevice11->Release();		UnregisterClass(wc.lpszClassName, hInstance);		return 0;}// Window procedureLRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) {	switch(msg) {		// Window destroyed.		case WM_DESTROY:			PostQuitMessage(0);		return 0;	}		return DefWindowProc(hWnd, msg, wParam, lParam);}

Thanks a lot guys - I'll give it a try. :)

Just curious though - is there any way to overlay a hwndsurfacerendertarget or is that bound to fail?
I'm not sure, haven't tried that path, but you can create the swap-chain with the GDI compatible flag, and use GetDC on the back-buffer and draw to that with a DC D2D render target. It's not very fast (I think it draws in software, or at least copies to system-memory in between), but if you only draw to part of the screen and specify an update rectangle it isn't very slow.
Actually.. it might be better to create a texture with GDI compatibility, and draw to that DC.. I'm gonna try that one, I'll post back. =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement