Direct x backward compatible

Started by
1 comment, last by majourab 14 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone so I have started looking at direct x and how it functions. I have got two books about directx one is talking about direct x 8.1 and the other direct x 9. I have the latest direct x sdk. I was wonderig if I want to program along with first book (direct x 8.1) will I need direct x 8.1 sdk or the latest version should do it all? Sorry if it is stupid question. Also in o e sentence what was ur initial reaction to direct x's complexity? Best wishes and thanks for reading, Majourab!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by majourab
Hello everyone so I have started looking at direct x and how it functions. I have got two books about directx one is talking about direct x 8.1 and the other direct x 9. I have the latest direct x sdk. I was wonderig if I want to program along with first book (direct x 8.1) will I need direct x 8.1 sdk or the latest version should do it all?
The DirectX interfaces are backwards compatible, you'll be able to compile a DirectX app written with DX8. However, the D3DX library isn't - if the book uses D3DX, you're probably best off uninstalling the DX9 SDK and installing the one that comes with the book instead. Otherwise you'll have a lot of compiler errors to sort out before you're able to build and run the samples.

Quote:Original post by majourab
Also in o e sentence what was ur initial reaction to direct x's complexity?
Quite complex, but the documentation is very good, and the SDK samples are a good starting point.
Thank you so much for your detailed message!
VERY NICE!!! lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement