Dungeon Keeper Style MMO

Started by
5 comments, last by landagen 14 years, 5 months ago
Reading another thread I got the idea for a Dungeon Keeper style MMo, and thought it might be fun to discuss what people would like in that sort of game. Players would each control their own stronghold with different theme based on what type of Fiendish origin the chose: -Evil Lord -Mad Scientist -Necromancer -Demon The player would design their stronghold, the passages and rooms. Fill it with traps and monsters. Heroes would attack everyday trying to steal gold from your vault, steal valuables, kill monsters, and damage items. Players would gain gold from money producing rooms and items, as well as killing hero’s, and assigning Monsters on Raiding missions rather than defence. All the players gold is stored in their vault and when it becomes full the remaining gold converts to wealth points. Wealth points would be used automatically to upgrade the stronghold’s decor, replacing the barren floors with carpets, expensive paintings on the wall, and other ornamentation. Wealth can be stolen by invading heroes but increases prestige. Gold on the other can be spent and used but does not affect prestige. Prestige is what determines the players level, gaining levels unlocks new monsters, rooms, items, and missions. At higher levels players can attack other players strongholds. Prestige would be gained by accumulating wealth, killing heroes, having your monsters complete missions, and increasing the size of your stronghold. Well that’s the idea in a nut shell. Thoughts ? Ideas?
Advertisement
Erm, what is the multiplayer part? Sounds like it would make a fun warcraft-like game though, with the different villain themes and different invasions being the missions of the single player campaign.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Sounds really fun. I especially like that player's vault, where gold would be automatically converted to wealth points.

No masher just Master!
What does this game gain by being MMO?

I think a persistent online world would hurt such a game, since it would place restrictions on the passage of time.
Yeah. Most MMOs are designed around the multiplayer aspect. This would be a very good single player game, possibly with (non MMO) multiplayer, but it seems, particularly since you can't even interact with other players until mid/late game, to be a bit contrived.

For the non-MMO multiplayer, should you do this, giving one player control of the adventurers is always fun.

You may want to look at squidi.net (there were a bunch of similar type ideas in the 300 mechanics section)
Ya, it wouldn't really be MMO in the traditional sense.

Mainly I was thinking of the multiplayer side being more of persistent world were all the strongholds existed. And giving players the ability to interact with other player made strongholds. Interacting would come to down sending monsters to raid other player strongholds. Perhaps a gremlin thief mini game where you try to guide an easily killed minion through the enemy stronghold to steal a piece of treasure. Some leader board style challenges like a collection of legendary treasures in the world and have players compete try and hold on to the most the longest, with all players knowing who has which legendary treasures. That type of thing.

After all half the fun of this type of game would be showing off your creation to other players, and challenging each other’s creations.
At first glance, an MMO would be a hindrance to the game, but giving another look, it may not be. A persistent world would give you the ability to "level" your stronghold such as creating better traps, having better monsters or more monsters. If you wanted to do that, then you would have to also have some kind of leveling system as well. It could also serve well as a great side game in an MMO. I think there is definitely something there with the idea. It just needs to be fleshed out some more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement