Sign in to follow this  
KyleM

Recommended engine?

I am currently trying to start a rpg game that is sort of a joke between me and my friends, i am not even going to bother trying to program it. So what i need is a good 3d rpg engine. I have thought about two, the new UDK just released, but i don't know how long it will take and i have no experience in the engine, and also dragon age origins engine, but i cant use their engine unless i own dragon age, i don't want to buy dragon age at the moment so.. yea. So can anyone recommend a good rpg engine?

3D RPG doesn't tell us anything. There are a ton of game engines that will help you to make a 3D RPG. UDK would work, Unity3D now has a free version available, there is also Panda3D. There are a host of others as well.

However, they generally share a common elements that you won't be able to get around - you need to do some programming. Any full-fledged 3d game authoring environment is going to require days if not weeks of effort to become even relatively familiar/comfortable with it to start producing anything that resembles a game. For the UDK you'd work with UnrealScript and Kismet (visual scripting system). For Unity3D you'll need C#, Boo, or something other .net language. For Panda3D you'll need to learn Python.

Just a generic hack n slash game with a few rpg elements and maybe a basic story, I dread having to program it because i am still learning C++ which seems to be taking ages to get anywhere

I would just stick with RPG Maker. Honestly, since the game is meant to be a joke between you and your friends, I would not stray away from a drag'n'drop engine. The joke will lose its humor looooong before you ever finish a game if you are using a "heavy lifting" engine, like Panda, UDK, Unity, etc.