"City Sports" for nintendo wii. please comment

Started by
3 comments, last by panetta 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi All, I've recently completed "City Sports" for nintendo wii and would like to get some feedback.
Thank you.
Angelo PanettaPanetta Studios
Advertisement
Since this is the "Music and Sound" forum, which tends to cater toward the "music" side of responses, I will assume it's the music in question?

Whatever track is being used is a decent trailer track, or background track.... but the problem I'm finding is that it seems, by coincidence or by design, the music track is congruent throughout the video, meaning it seems like one entire piece, despite the video cuttind numerous times? It's ok I guess... If you've landed a job at a Wii publishing studio, I'm not really sure why you're asking for opinions, though.

(The musical track is less than musical, simply doing the job, in an odd way... I would say nothing more than a job completed, as the video really doesn't tell much).

The Audio effects on the other hand, are fairly good.
Good job on the sound design.

The only thing that bothered me was the car horn score sound, very jarring.
- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com
Overall I really liked the sound design! I agree with the car horn being a bit jarring. I liked the life sounds that pop up at 0:58 during the baseball game. While I understand different parts of the city will have different sounds, I felt that this background layer of life sounds (like at :58) was missing from other parts of the game. For example at the main menu I don't hear any background sounds (0-:15). I also don't hear this layer during the part at 1:16 but I loved the skate board sounds! :) It also could be just how the clips fell in place and were captured but I got kinda tired of the pigeon sound. A few ideas for that:

*auto pitch- so each time the sound is called the pitch is changed slightly. Helps reduce strict repetition

*randomizing samples- so the playback can sound more organic. Right now it feels like it's always the same sample.

*volume randomization- this would help emulate the distance factor.

This approach could and should be used for all kinds of sound design while keeping the context in mind, of course. For example it wouldn't make sense to apply a volume randomization to an action that always happens very close to the listener position.

Finally, to my ears this mix feels more heavy towards sound design than music. Perhaps this is intentional to showcase the work you've done on the title. If this is the in-game mix that the title shipped with then I feel the sound design was too over powering to the music in the background.

Some really nice and creative sound design! Good stuff Angelo and thanks for sharing.

Nathan

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thank you for all your comments, they are very helpful. I should have mentioned I am a freelance composer and sound designer, but in this case I only did the sound design. The music was mixed for the demo and is not the mix for gameplay.

Thanks Nathan for the comments on auto pitch, randomizing samples, and volume randomization. I've already discussed this with the production team for the next title.

Please continue to comment. Thank you.
Angelo PanettaPanetta Studios

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement