[C#] Summing a list

Started by
4 comments, last by daedalus0x1a4 14 years, 5 months ago
hey whats good? im implementing a d20 dice system where i have a method that rolls the dice and adds the results to a list<int> type im trying to decide what the best way to sum the results would be. i have read about a sum method that is an extension of ienumerable types added to lists and arrays by LINQ but in the example i saw he references system.linq; while the closest match i have is system.data.linq; so i implemented it like this:

public int Roll(int NumberOfDice, int Faces)
        {
            int Sum = 0;
            List<int> Rolls = new List<int>();

for (int i = 0; i < NumberOfDice; i++)
            {
                Rolls.Add(Die.Next(0, Faces));
            }

IEnumerator<int> Enumerator = Rolls.GetEnumerator();

while (Enumerator.MoveNext())
            {
                Sum += Enumerator.Current;
            }

return Sum;
        }
it would have been nice to simply say Rolls.Sum(); i guess i could have used a for loop as well. whats really the best way to accomplish this, in your opinions?
really can't wait for this bay sh to blow uphigher than a spaceship waitin on a momentsittin in a meth-lab hope it dont blow upfor a lifetime imma rhyme but im not a poet
Advertisement
If you're using .NET 3.5, you can use the extension method like you mentioned. It's included in the System.Core DLL, and is located under the System.Linq namespace as a member of the static Enumerable class as an extension method to IEnumerable<T>.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
The main Linq assembly is System.Core, I believe. Try adding a reference to that and you should be able to use the Sum method.

edit: damnit, long dogged by 14 secs! damn you, hard cat! [razz]
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Am I missing something? Why not this:
public int Roll(int numDice, int numFaces){    int Sum = 0;    for(int i=0; i<numDice; ++i){        Sum += Die.Next(0, numFaces);    }    return Sum;}
Or at least:
public int Roll(int numDice, int numFaces){    int Sum = 0;    List<int> Rolls;    for(int i=0; i<numDice; ++i){        int roll = Die.Next(0, numFaces);        Sum += roll;        Rolls.Add(roll);    }    return Sum;}
if you intend to actually use all the values later.
i wasn't thinking about it that way, in addition to being rusty :) thanks ocelot. thanks mike and chaos too. i didn't realize i needed to reference system.core.
:)
really can't wait for this bay sh to blow uphigher than a spaceship waitin on a momentsittin in a meth-lab hope it dont blow upfor a lifetime imma rhyme but im not a poet
okay. okay.

okay.

public int Roll(int NumberOfDice, int Faces)        {            int Sum = 0;            for (int i = 0; i < NumberOfDice; i++)            {                Sum += Die.Next(0, Faces);            }            return Sum;        }        public List<int> Roll(int NumberOfDice, int Faces, out int Sum)        {            List<int> Rolls = new List<int>();            for (int i = 0; i < NumberOfDice; i++)            {                Rolls.Add(Die.Next(0, Faces));            }            Sum = Enumerable.Sum(Rolls);            return Rolls;        }

this'll do
:]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement