Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uffe Hammer

PR not supporting new hardware features

1) I will be adding hardware T&L as soon as I get my hands on a card that does it. There will probably be a lock command for an object which tells the engine you won't be changing any of the vertices. It can then store the vertices in a D3D vertex buffer and let it do the transformation.

2) Storing UV coordinates in the face structure is required so you can have different UV's on adjacent faces which share the same vertices. Otherwise you need to create more vertices in the object.

Hello Chris!

I have some general questions concerning PR:
1. Since you zero out the glOrtho matrix of opengl, i must assume that you make your own perspective calculations in PR. Your reply to my question about making viewports without perspective depth in the editor, also confirmed this.
However that might cause considerable problems with new graphicscards like the g-force which has geometry acceleration, will PR be able to use geometry acceleration when you only use the 3dcards to paint polygons, but never actually sends the entire model to either directx or opengl? The new directx7 supports geometry acceleration and opengl has done it for ages, if you started to support this feature we would not only be able to exploit the new features of 3dcards, but also be able to use viewports without perspective depth, which is essential in 3d editors, since you would then rely on the API's for the orthographic matrix.

2. You store the UV coordinates in the face struct, will this not result in the UV coordinates being recalculated for every vertex, every time the object is transformed. Some of the other 3dEngines i have seen, stores this value in the vertex structure, thus avoiding the extra calculations. However this is purely speculations, if you have some briliant reason for doing so, you have my sincere apologies for doubting you.

Uffe Hammer
uhammer@ite.dk