[c++] How do you convert an int to an int vector

Started by
10 comments, last by dmatter 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi! Without using sscanf and sprintf, and using STL how do you convert: int number=123; to std::vector<int> numbers; number[0]=1; number[1]=2; number[2]=3; I can do that with C functions, but no idea using STL. Thanks a lot for your help.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Advertisement
You don't need C functions for this; you could do it with simple math (division and modulus) and a loop. For a hint, what's (123 % 10) and (123 / 10), in C++?
You also might want to lookup .push_back() or .resize() about vector, depending how you want to put the values into the vector, once you have them.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

If you're trying to use string functions for this, as you suggested sscanf and sprintf, the normal way to do it would be with a stringstream. Put the integer in, pull the characters out.
This seems to me like the easiest way to do it:
  for (;number>0; number/=10)    numbers.push_back(number%10);  std::reverse(numbers.begin(), numbers.end());
That doesn't handle zero correctly.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane

Indeed. Once you've written an int to string function yourself you realise that a do..while loop is most appropriate for avoiding the 0 -> "" problem.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
int number = 123;std::stringstream buf;buf << number;std::string str = buf.str();

Edit: I was assuming you wanted index access to each character of the number. To actually convert to a vector would use something like alvaro's method above.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane

That depends on what he wants to happen when number is 0. You are probably right, though.
Quote:Original post by ricardo_ruiz_lopez
no idea using STL

Well, if it has to be STL, you can go totally berserk and write your own iterator...

#include <algorithm>#include <iostream>#include <iterator>#include <vector>class int_iterator : public std::iterator<std::forward_iterator_tag, int>{    int x;public:    explicit int_iterator(int x = -1) : x(x) {}    bool operator!=(int_iterator that)    {        return x != that.x;    }    int_iterator& operator++()    {        x /= 10;        if (x == 0) x = -1;        return *this;    }    int operator*()    {        return x % 10;    }};int main(void){    int i = 123;    std::vector<int> v((int_iterator(i)), int_iterator());    std::reverse(v.begin(), v.end());}

Note the parenthesis around int_iterator(i). Without them, you fall victim to C++'s most vexing parse.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement