How to make a 3d game?

Started by
18 comments, last by demons 22 years, 8 months ago
Why is it that 3d posts no matter what always end up in a DX/OpenGL flame war? You people have taken this completely off topic and are using it for your own public soap box when you should honestly be trying to help the origional poster. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Demons: Chances are that if your asking this question your not realy ready to make a 3d game yet. My suggestion is to start with some basic 3d apps. Things like drawing triangles, rotating them, and so on. Eventualy you''ll get to the point you feel confident and can continue on to making a game.

Unreal: Shut up! Every post you''ve made on this board in the last few days has been "Use OpenGL DX Stinks". I''m sorry that direct X is beyond your programming know how. Just because you can''t understand it doesn''t mean others can''t. You should realize that people learn diffrently and most code diffrently. Choosing an API is like choosing a peice of clothing to wear. What fits you might not fit me, and vice versa. In the end only fools choose an API. Your job as a programmer is to learn how to 3d programming, and an API just facilitates that. It doesn''t matter which one you use as long as you''ve got the 3d know how under your belt any API will suit your needs.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Advertisement
>> maybe microsoft should write dx for other platforms!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaa
hahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahaha

..sorry.. couldn''t help myself..

Forum Users Against Flame Wars

I've never taken part in a flame war because they just seem pointless nothing actually ever gets resolved and any useful comments get lost in "___ is better than ___ because..." So I thought I make a suggestion....

Why not have "Flaming" as a topic for a new forum, so anything breaks out into a full scale war the moderators simply move it to the new forum leaving pointless flamers to argue and use up GameDev's disk spaces while people who ask useful questions, make interesting comments or seek knowledge don't click on a link to be presented by 10 pages of flames.

This will probably never get read because it will get lost in the fire but at least I tried

Edited by - xstreme2000 on July 27, 2001 11:05:55 AM
quote:Why not have "Flaming" as a topic for a new forum, so anything breaks out into a full scale war the moderators simply move it to the new forum

Theoretically a good idea, but Gamedev is already slow as software OpenGL
A place where flame wars can rage unmoderated, on the Gamedev server, will make it nearly impossible for the "good" users to read the serious posts. In my opinion, there has to be done something to the slowness of the Gamedev server first, and as long as this can''t be done, flame wars should be suppressed immediately.
That was the problem with the Game Programming MegaSite. Every post turned into a flame war and those posts dominated the boards. actual posts were ignored because everyone was arguing. some of you new guys may not know about that site. man I loved that site.

edit- I loved the site, not the flame wars. just wanted to clear that up.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page

Edited by - Julio on July 27, 2001 1:36:27 PM
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Well I dont know about you but I never said x was better than y or y was better than x. They all are great and have there own plus and minus''s. I personally was trying to state that people need to use whatever suits them best. Yes flame wars are very ridiculous and serve no point what so ever. If someone would of said something totally bad about opengl I would of defened it. But in this case it was dx that was being bashed. So anyways lets all get back to what we were put here to do. Make games to virtually kill people instead of really going into the world and blowing peoples heads off.. heh.

------
Andrew T. Finnell
Software Engineer
e-Security Inc.
------Andrew T. FinnellSoftware Engineere-Security Inc.
Personally I think it''s best to learn OpenGL first then take a look at D3D and see which you prefer.

I reccomend you learn OpenGL... im not bashing D3D its just that OpenGL has more tutorials and stuff online to help you. Then when you have a good foundation with OpenGL maybe you can learn D3D and make an engine that uses both apis. Still, if you want to learn D3D first, then y not, that is if you are programming in just windows of course.
Ok I just came up with a stupid but never the less interesting idea:

why don''t we start a contest, where the contestants may use either OpenGL or Direct3D as their API. In order to keep things a bit fair, each entry gets a score based on speed, detail, and how good in general the entry looks. Then the scores for each team (OpenGL and D3D)are added and the winner of this on going battle will be found.

Of course I have to admit the result of such contest would prove absolutely nothing, but I reckon it would be interesting.

BTW i personally think that:

Direct3D gives you much more control over graphics card options and everything else in general.
OpenGL is much easier to implement and has a slightly faster rendering pipeline.
Well it is not a matter of "flame war", in my opinion.
I think it is fair to share experiences.
I got started about one year ago using Direct x 7.0.
It was a nightmare.
Then I passed to opengl... I saw the light.
I do not mean that opengl is better than direct x,but no doubt it is much easier to learn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement