How to make a 3d game?

Started by
18 comments, last by demons 22 years, 8 months ago
hi,im a 3d game newbie,but i wanna make a test game for me ... so who can teach me more about 3d game or some sorce code... thx. DS The Modern Hell -Super Cool Painter while ($IaMdemons|| !$die){DevelopIt();}
The Modern Hell -Super Cool Painterwhile ($IaMdemons|| !$die){DevelopIt();}
Advertisement
You could:

* Check out the 3D tutorials in GameDev.net
* examine the SDK D3D samples.
* Search for ''3D source code'' in a search engine
* Check out the links in GameDev.net - flipcode etc..

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

thx,and where are u working for?

DS
The Modern Hell -Super Cool Painterwhile ($IaMdemons|| !$die){DevelopIt();}
Forget D3D8!!Learn OpenGL from nehe.gamedev.net
quote:Original post by Unreal
Forget D3D8!!Learn OpenGL from nehe.gamedev.net

I don''t mean to start a flame war, but I''m inclined to agree with Unreal. The hardest part of opengl is the window setup and with glut it''s just as easy as dos text programming. With DX8 (and previous versions), you''re stuck in COM and c++. Not to mention that if you use DX then at some point you''re probably going to get sucked into .net "Software as a service" which, in my opinion, is likely going to be a nightmare for developers.

Oh, and Opengl is "portable" to Linux, Mac OS, and even flavors of unix. (Can''t say that for DX!)
I''m really tired of the excuse most people use to support opengl : "it''s so portable". That''s true, but most people never write or run games or graphics in linux. And most dev''s never do that either. And I think that most people that sight that excuse never use linux either.

Remember I used the word most here- I''ve used opengl in linux myself and I know others who have, but I''m under the impression that most (over 75%) don''t. IMO.

Pactuul

"The thing I like about friends in my classes is that they can''t access my private members directly."

-Pac "The thing I like about friends in my classes is that they can't access my private members directly." "When listening to some one tell about their problem (whether it's code or not), don't listen to what went right or wrong, but what they assumed....."
"...
That''s true, but most people never write or run games or graphics in linux. And most dev''s never do that either.
..."

Hmmm... So just because most people dont write games for Linux means that nobody should? The Linux industry is starving for games and there is a growing market for them. It could be the difference between success and failure to include them in your grand scheme of things

Next you will be telling us that most people dont port their games to PS2 either... Sony supports one of these APIs on PS2 and not the other... take a guess which is which?

Seeya
Krippy
To create a 3D game:
It''s all about the rotating cube. Get that down, and you can work wonders from there. NeHe for OpenGL, NeXe, Drunken Hyena, and Wazoo for D3D.

As for D3D vs OpenGL:
Anybody who refuses to install Windows to play games is missing just about every game on the market, so... in my opinion, it''s not worth catering to them.

And D3D is getting better every year, while OpenGL is already starting to fall behind.

-----------------
The Goblin (madgob@aol.com)
-----------------
"Before critisizing somebody, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do critisize them, not only will you be a mile away, but you''ll also have their shoes!"
- The Goblin (madgob@aol.com)
Wow, I signed up to gamedev.net just for this debate.
I was going to post something about whether I should use OpenGL or DX8. Well I have to agree with many things here. First OpenGL is portable and Quake III does use it so amazing things can obviously be done with it, but I do tend to agree that OpenGL is falling behind. _Now_ it is actually easier to use DX8 than OpenGL because of the major changes. Anyone that bashes COM is just plain ignorant. COM is a very well designed structure for OOP. And why is being stuck using C++ so bad? Face it people, more apps will be C++ ( or OOP ) in the future.
Maybe microsoft needs to write DX for other platforms. I think that would be better than using OpenGl, hehe I know that statement will spark some fires...
If you plan on making a game that will be based on linux you are going to be out of business before you even start. I believe more than 80% of the worlds population probably uses windows. Stop limiting yourself by thinking about technical people that know how to use linux which is far less than the non-technical people that would freak if they had to use linux. Because non-technical people greatly outnumber technical people. I always love people that post things like, ''everyone should use linux, or windows sucks use linux, or linux is easier to use than windows''. HAH have an _average_ 13 yearold try and install or run a game on a linux machine, he''s gonna get lost. Or a mother that likes fancy card games.. These people are not going to be able to use linux or anything else besides maybe a Mac, but the Mac is a whole other story.
When you programs games stop thinking about what YOU can do on a system and think about your general customer.. You sit there and produce a game that will run on every operating system in the world. Woopdidoo.. You spend over 50% more time debugging and testing on all those platforms when the majority of the people will only run it on Windows..
Ok I think I''ve stired up the fire enough..

Andrew T. Finnell
------Andrew T. FinnellSoftware Engineere-Security Inc.
OpenGL is falling behind? I think not. As a programmer that uses both API''s, I can tell you that whatever you can do in Direct3D you can do in OpenGL. Only in OpenGL they''re called extensions, and are what make OpenGL more upgradable than DirectX. DirectX comes out with a new version every year or two. You don''t completely relearn the api, but you have to rewrite your code. with OpenGL you just keep adding on. that''s why I use OpenGL. Microsoft is trying to make Direct3D like OpenGL so people will use it. They are even holding back OpenGL 1.2 for Windows. That''s bullshit. Do whatever you want, but OpenGL is just as good as Direct3D.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement