Aspect ratio and gameplay

Started by
22 comments, last by Stroppy Katamari 14 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Stroppy Katamari
"The same exact experience" requires either the same exact hardware, or hard-capping the game to the weakest supported hardware.

Couldn't agree more. I'm just saying that it doesn't prevent us from trying to minimize the gameplay experience differences (ideally, the exact same experience would be great, even though we know it's impossible if they don't have the same HW, it's where we're heading to.)

Quote:
Regarding fighting games, if the hardware can run the game at minimum detail and resolution (solid 60Hz of course) then the fight is fair.

Oh that's what I was getting at, those machine who can't get 60Hz.
I agree there's no difference if they get solid 60hz.

Some poorly designed games might give a slight advantage when running with maximum detail because some stuff is drawn differently (or in low quality it isn't drawn at all) which may increase sharpness or distract more/less. Though that's off topic.

Quote:
Quote:Ahh, yes. But single player also comes into discussion here.
How many times you've heard someone "For god sake I've pressed the damn key! why didn't he move??!" or "WTF? it stalled for 1 second and now I'm dead??"
I have no idea what that has to do with anything.

What I meant is that a game should attempt to attract players.
It's a shame and frustrating for the game designer when the overall gaming experience was ruined because of technical difficulties, even worse when the player ends up hating the game or thinking it's not fun because of this.
I view this from a design & marketing point of view.

Quote:The line of minimal requirements has to be drawn somewhere.

Yes sure, and agreed. My original point was that unfairness because of different Hardware is unavoidable, and I was giving an example of it.
Advertisement
Why not just move the radar and player data off the viewable area in the letter box view?

That would solve the black issue and it won't be obvious to the player that their be punished by a 4/3 aspect ratio display.
Ok I can't resist saying this,

"Think outside the box". The letterbox that is lol!

Another thing you could put in the black area is a chat window. Although as some previous mentioned you could also slowly adjust the coloring so the huds outside the letterbox don't have to high of a brightness to distract the player from the in game lighting.
Returning to the main point of the thread, I think Erik Rufelt and Krohm nailed it. A game with a competition aspect needs fixed aspect ratio to ensure fairness. Where it fits, by all means include another optional mode which fills the screen (and is designed to be either equal or inferior to "the" ratio in every aspect of doing well at the game).

I think most of the criticism against letterboxing is unfounded. People don't complain about it in movies.

Now, how exactly to choose the fixed aspect ratio?

The thing that comes to mind would be to pick the ratio the majority of your users have, which is not unreasonable. But it is better to think of some other things as well. Considering the current state of display technology, if I predict 7/10 of my users will have 4:3 displays and 3/10 will have 16:10, I'd likely still make 16:10 the fixed ratio. The superior screens on the market (size, IQ, etc.) are 16:10. Because of that, the users who care about optimal presentation and/or control already tend to have 16:10, or will switch to it. To set the game to use 4:3 ratio will result in a good bit of antipathy from the widescreen folk. Proportionally far fewer people with 4:3 are going notice or care about the results of setting the game to 16:10. Going the other way would also potentially put people in the silly situation where they have to downgrade their hardware overall if they want an optimal experience with your game. Obviously, if there were displays that are better than ones available in 16:10, they would still have to be common enough to warrant ending up as the fixed ratio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement