• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hamed_gibago

XNA 3.0 and Visual studio 2005

This topic is 3163 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi my friends I've downloaded XNA 3.0 from microsoft and I have visual studio 2005 is there any way or patch that I can run XNA 3.0 in vs 2005? or I should use vs 2005 or download xna 2? thanks [Edited by - hamed_gibago on November 11, 2009 2:14:37 AM]

Advertisement
nobody wants to answer me?
i need help my friends to choose the best way for me
i have a pentium 2 with 300 mg of ram
i want the best way that dont make me so slow and i want to choose the way to learn and start my game project

I'm surprised that you can even run VS2005 itself on that kind of hardware.

Software-wise, the best action would be to upgrade to VS2008 (C# Express will do just fine for XNA) and download XNA GS 3.1.

However, I think that your hardware cannot handle XNA at all - no matter what version - if your display adapter is from the same era as your processor.

If you seriously want to start a game development project with XNA, you should buy a new computer. It doesn't have to be top-of-the-line; any computer available from shops today is better than your current one and should be able to handle XNA.

C# Express 2008 and XNA GS 3.1 are what you'll want to use. You can't use 2005 with 3.0. You'll also need a system with a video card that support shader model 2.0 at a minimum.

I also suggest checking out this FAQ.

Quote:
Original post by Machaira
You'll also need a system with a video card that support shader model 2.0 at a minimum.
Incorrect. XNA Game Studio only requires shader model 1.1. Some samples and starter kits use 2.0, but you only need 1.1. See here.

my system is so old
i told u cpu is p2 and graphic card is ati 7000 radeon 64 mg
ive done some web application and windows with this system with vs 2005
and ive make some money too
but i know that this system is too old to make games
but i want u my friends to help me to start game programming through another way or tech to start this exciting feild
is there any idea with this system and another tech?
i want to work with this system
if i u want i setup vc++ 6 and start in that way
whats ur idea my friends?

I think that you can't run XNA on that hardware.

You probably can run D3D9 in fixed-function mode, though. You can use it natively in C or C++, or via SlimDX (which is a .net-based library encapsulating DirectX). Note that you're not going to achieve any advanced graphics (by today's standards) with your current machine, but you can definitely develop games per se.

As for C++ - if you go that way, be sure to download the VC++ 2008 Express, which is infinitely better than VC++ 6.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!