Never learn games programming!

Started by
24 comments, last by signal_ 14 years, 5 months ago
You should never learn games programming You should never start learning DirectX.. It's very complicated and works only on Windows.. OpenGL is multi platform and simpler. You should never start learning OpenGL.. It's only used in rendering and you can never use it for sound, input and networking (like DirectX). Never switch back to DX, remember the comlexity and the single platform issues.. Actually you should never start learning any low level graphics API. Are you re inventing the wheel or what? Get an engine and start using it. You should never start using SDL, it's only 2D You should never start using ORGE3D. It is only a rendering engine. You should never use any engines because you should understand the low level concepts of graphics before developing something big.. Noo. Don't think again about DX and OGL.. They are low level, they are hard to learn and you have to write 100s lines of codes to draw a sqaure. You better do nothing. That what I got from people few months after deciding to start learning games programming. That I should not do this step. I have to stay as I am, developing boring applications and never try to do something I like.
Advertisement
And you listen to them? Who cares what their opinion on what you should/shouldn't do is, it's easy for them to make decisions for you because they don't have to live with the consequences, just ignore them and go for whatever you want. If you work hard enough, you will definitely get it, full stop.
Quote:Original post by Samuelson
And you listen to them? Who cares what their opinion on what you should/shouldn't do is, it's easy for them to make decisions for you because they don't have to live with the consequences, just ignore them and go for whatever you want. If you work hard enough, you will definitely get it, full stop.

I have to get an advice from someone.

And every time I get convinced with an opinion, I find 1000 people proving it to be wrong.

Frustrating.
Welcome to the internet. An unfortunate side effect of being able to talk to loads of different people with ease is that the more people, the more opinions. And as the number of opinions grow they have the annoying habit of having an empty intersection set.
The trick is learning to see which opinions carry more weight than others (for example "X is useless" carries much less weight than a three paragraph discussion about the problems X has in relation to Y) and which opinions are more applicable to the current situation.
hehe, I think your post is quite amusing. I don't think you could go very wrong starting any of the things you mention. Just pick one, and go with that. If you’re having a hard time, try something else. Everything has it's pros and cons and you actually name some of them. There are lots of people in the world and it’s impossible to have everyone agree on anything. If you want quick results, pick something high level (the fun part comes sooner). If you want to understand what’s underneath these high level engines, go with something more low level, but expect a higher learning curve. After hearing all the pros and cons it’s up to you to make a decision.
The onlyone whose opinion counts is yours. You have to decide what you want to reach and you have to choose the right tools, APIs, languages for that. Everything has pros and cons. If you think it is worth to do it than do it. Don't give up!
Haha, it's almost poetry
I've gone through most of those steps and been intimidated by how much work there seems to be!! But 10 years later I'm a decent professional games programmer.

Keep it up ;)
You have to pick something and stick with it if you want to get anywhere. Any tool, technology, technique or approach you might choose will have both advantages and disadvantages, and these may or may not apply to you to differing degrees depending on your personal goals.

Trying to start out and looking for advice, it's an unfortunate reality that you're going to get a lot of conflicting opinions, and even at times arguments where both sides seem perfectly logical; when this happens, think about how the listed benefits or problems effect you personally, and if there's still no clear 'better' choice then just pick either option and stick with it.

Considering for example DirectX vs. OpenGL, you've been told not to choose DirectX because it isn't cross platform. Does that matter to you? If you use or wish to target other platforms then you might want to avoid it, but if you're a Windows user and don't immediately want to target other platforms then this particular disadvantage -- although perfectly valid -- doesn't matter to you.

Always match any advice you've been given back to your own situation and you'll often find that even though someone may be presenting a valid reason not to use an approach you've chosen, it may not apply specifically to you.

Hope that helps.[smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Not to laugh at your plight, but I did find your post humorous, OP. If you have to get advice from someone, take the advice of the people who have posted here and ignore what everyone is saying. Choose something you want to do and go for it, no matter what the opinions of other people are. If everyone only did what popular opinion says to do, nothing much would ever get done.
---------------------------Visit my Blog at http://robwalkerdme.blogspot.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement