Sign in to follow this  
marky83

Help with university project

Hello! For a university project I have to write a report about a Game Developer in Sweden, I myself live in Sweden. I have already written a general analysis of the company as a group project and am now going to write a a report myself. The topic of the report is to suggest how the company should change their production planning. Before the company has only released a PC game every second year or so. They have been successful but do now want to release one game each year and also for consoles. The company has around 120 employees but will need to recruit to be able to release one console game per year. The problem is that the company did not answer any questions regarding this, maybe the information is confidential or they just do not have any time to spare. So my question is where I can find reliable information of what to consider when changing production planning in a case like this? I have read some literature, for example the book Game development and production by Erik Bethke but it does not feel enough. Any relevant articles, books, suggestions of people to contact and ideas are welcome.

Mark, you wrote:
>the company did not answer any questions regarding this, maybe the information is confidential or they just do not have any time to spare.
>where I can find reliable information of what to consider when changing production planning in a case like this?

You're looking for something that doesn't exist. There is no "reliable information" about how to grow a game development company in hard economic times. If such information existed, everybody would just do it, and the game industry would not be in hard economic times.

So your task is instead to write your best guess about things the company could try, and analyze the pros and cons (the risks) of each thing. That company has apparently decided they've cooperated with you long enough, so you'll have to do it without their help now.

The way you can proceed now is to do the following:
- Read articles about company growth attempts, on Gamasutra and IndustryGamers, and even indie sites too.
- More books: Introduction to Game Development, edited by Rabin. Secrets of the Game Business, edited by Larramee.
- Discuss your remaining questions with your instructor. Bounce ideas off him, see what ideas bounce back.

Quote:
Original post by Tom Sloper
There is no "reliable information" about how to grow a game development company in hard economic times. If such information existed, everybody would just do it, and the game industry would not be in hard economic times.

I agree with most of what you said, but I think information can be reliable without necessarily being a step-by-step guaranteed recipe for success.

For example the training plan used by successful athletes might be reliable information, but it's not going to turn me into an Olympic Gold medalist! Alternatively a business strategy for rapid growth might involve some risk, but may still be reliable information.