RED BOOK compile error?

Started by
7 comments, last by chickencoop 14 years, 5 months ago
Im looking for some help, I purchased the red book and am trying to compile the first example. and I get the following error. Can someone tell me where im going wrong

E:\c++\OPENGL RED BOOK\chapter_1\simple\src>g++ main.cpp
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x14e): undefined r
eference to `glEnable@4'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x186): undefined r
eference to `glClear@4'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x18e): undefined r
eference to `glLoadIdentity@0'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x1cc): undefined r
eference to `gluLookAt@72'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x1db): undefined r
eference to `glBegin@4'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x206): undefined r
eference to `glColor4f@16'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x228): undefined r
eference to `glVertex3f@12'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x253): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x275): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x2a0): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x2c2): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x2ca): undefined r
eference to `glEnd@0'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x2d6): undefined r
eference to `glBegin@4'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x301): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x323): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x34e): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x370): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x39b): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x3bd): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x3e8): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x40a): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x435): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x457): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x45f): undefined r
eference to `glEnd@0'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x497): undefined r
eference to `glViewport@16'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x4a6): undefined r
eference to `glMatrixMode@4'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x4ae): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x4d8): undefined r
eference to `gluPerspective@32'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x4e7): undefined r
eference to `glMatrixMode@4'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x4ef): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x557): undefined r
eference to `SDL_Init'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x5ac): undefined r
eference to `SDL_GL_SetAttribute'
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x5c0): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x5d4): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x5e8): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x5fc): undefined r
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x610): more undefi
ned references to `SDL_GL_SetAttribute' follow
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp/ccGs9VMa.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x6bf): undefinecol
lect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Advertisement
You're not linking the libraries for the mentioned functions. Make sure you link the libraries for OpenGL and SDL.
OK Ive linked some librarys with the following code.

g++ -lglu32 -lopengl32 -lSDL main.cpp

and now I get the following error

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

That can't be the only output from ld, what's the complete error message? In fact, what's the entire output that you get when you execute your command. My guess is that you're also getting a "can't find library" message...
It is the complete error message
the following is what i get

E:\c++\OPENGL RED BOOK\chapter_1\simple\src>g++ -lglu32 -lopengl32 -lSDL main.cpp
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

E:\c++\OPENGL RED BOOK\chapter_1\simple\src>

Im thinking maybe i have one of those computers that has become self aware, and out of protest has decided it will not compile until it gets better pay and conditions. :)

[Edited by - chickencoop on November 11, 2009 11:10:25 PM]
Do you have the libraries you're trying to link in?

Does your compiler know where they are?
Ok I got it working I can now compile chapter 1, It was a linking problem For those who are interested.

i compiled chapter 1 with the following command

g++ -o program.exe main.cpp -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -lopengl32 -lglu32

Now I have another question.

I tried compling chapter 2 with the same command and again I get the same error.

so my question now is what libraries do people link in for chapter 2 of the red book?

Hard to guess without seeing the code and/or the book (since you bought it I assume you are not using the 1.1 version). Does it use any functions that start in glut* or wgl* or some other stuff besides standard OpenGL and GLU?
Glut no
Wgl yes.
From searching through the code in the example, calls X11

Its the 2nd edition of the red book

[Edited by - chickencoop on November 18, 2009 1:09:23 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement