Best type of game for consoles

Started by
4 comments, last by highowl 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi there all, This is my first topic in this forum, and I was wondering if you had any tips about consoles. Why? well, simply because I have a dev-kit available which I plan to use more in the future. So I was wondering, are there any games which are better suited for consoles then for a general PC? I'm looking for stuff like, on a console (and then I mean handheld consoles) your screen is a lot smaller which you might use in your advance in a way (which I haven't found yet ^^) Please discuss with me :) P.S. I do not want to make any game-clones, and do want to keep things original, and unique (even though that's not always easy)
-Please rate me if you find my replies useful.
Advertisement
You said that you have a console dev kit, so I'm assuming you're either a registered developer or are working for one?

Is this the PSP or the DS? This makes a big difference for input and processing/graphics power.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I'm working on the PSP.
But I don't know if it should be THAT platform specific.

Got a good point there though.
I know the graphics power of the PSP far outseeds that of the DS, but im not really sure if I want to make a graphic heavy game this time.
you are asking for games that are suitable for consoles.. game types, and then you said you don't want to make any clones, you want to be as original as possible.

It seems to me, you want us to design your unique and original game for you?

if that's not what you want, then can you be more clear on what you are asking?
Yes, well first of all, I want to create a game on a console, namely the PSP.
However, I want to create a game which would be a better game when implemented on a PSP then on a PC.
I also said I don't want to make any clones, trying to answer questions like, why don't you try to make a mario clone or something first.

You can still have a game which is very nice worked out, different then the rest of the games, but still fits a game genre which has been used a lot before.

So the main question is, is there a genre which is best suited for consoles like the PSP, taking into account the limited screen, etc. And a minor addition to it would be that I'm not looking to make a game which is exactly like another, but with a different name.
I've had a PSP since close to release....and, after putting custom firmware on it, rarely used it for gaming...for a few reasons. Mainly because the single joystick and lack of what would be L2 and R2. This really made many kinds of games more of a hassle to play rather than enjoyable...at least in my opinion. Though games that didn't heavily rely on button combos were enjoyable. For example, I really enjoyed the Hot Shots Golf game for PSP and the game Crush was both original and enjoyable. Though games like Socom and MoH weren't enjoyable for me on the PSP even though I loved their PS2 cousins.

All-in-all I'd say avoid 3-D shooter games as the lack of a second joystick makes targeting a royal pain in the ass. Racing games work well....loved ridge racer. 2-D games work great, though they don't really take much advantage of the graphic capabilities of the PSP. Then again there really aren't many 2-D games being released recently that aren't re-makes and I think a well-designed 2-D platformer for the PSP would be a nice change.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement