xfire killing my game's performance

Started by
4 comments, last by Daivuk 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi all, we had a couple of users reporting that their game is lagging a lot. But other games like TF2/Crisis run smoothly. We found that strange, because our game is lighter than those. We finally found out that it's xfire causing this. When xfire is open, on my dev machine I drop from 90 FPS to 15 FPS. I was wondering what I can be doing wrong in my code that makes xfire behave incorrectly? The issue is, not all people are informed or follow our forums. They will try the game, it will lag, they will move on. (And not buy, or worse, being reviewers and complaining it lags in their article). Thanks for any hints, if anyone have experienced that problems, I am trying to profile things, but it's not easy since I don't know what xfire is doing to my game... Edit: The game is using D3D9 and Shaders model 3.0 [Edited by - Daivuk on November 11, 2009 4:09:22 PM]
Advertisement
I think XFire has a public developer contact email. They'd probably be interested to hear about problems like this, in case it comes up in other games too.
I couldn't find that email on their website.
I sent one to user feedback.
But my question was more, if some are used to this, am I doing something wrong with my main loop and Direct 3D 9 buffer swap or something that could cause this?

(That's why I posted in this forum, it's definitely graphic related)
Yeah possibly. AFAIK, XFire hooks into the DX present call, so when you say you're done rendering a frame, it goes and renders it's GUI right before the 'present'... If you're doing something slightly wrong, perhaps XFire is screwing up, or running multiple times per frame.

You could post up what your main loop looks like and see if anyone can spot any obvious weirdness.

This page lists a gamedev contact email: gamesdev@xfire.com
Thank you for the email, I haven't found that.
My main loop is complex, and the present call is threaded so the next update frame can start right away.

I found the issue, in xfire_games.ini, they have those properties for our game:
InGameFlags=USE_PRESENT|ENABLE_MOUSE|USE_DINPUT_MOUSE

I just added DISABLE_RELEASE and it works perfectly now.

InGameFlags=USE_PRESENT|ENABLE_MOUSE|USE_DINPUT_MOUSE|DISABLE_RELEASE

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement