Book: OpenGL Game Programming

Started by
5 comments, last by mkaltner 22 years, 2 months ago
Well, I recently got the OpenGL Game Programming book and so far it seems pretty good but what the hell is wrong with the CD and references to the CD? First, as mentioned, the source code is missing. So I downloaded it. Second, I''m in chapter 2, creating a full-screen OpenGL Window and keep from "pouring out another code dump" they say to take a look at the "OpenGLWindow2" program which isn''t even on the CD. What gives??? Then, in Apendix B the reference of the CD is completely wrong in format. The directory structure is different than what''s stated... Man. So anyway, where the hell is OpenGLWindow2 and if it''s not on the CD then how do I know what they''re talking about? Bah, just upset... Anyway. - Mike
"The important thing to remember when programming is: When you're 90% complete, there's still 50% more to go."
Advertisement
Who is the author and or co-author of this book?
hehe, wrong site to flame that book. hehe.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
From what I understand the publisher made a very large error when manufacturing the cd''s for that book. This was noticed as soon as the authors had recieved their copies of the book. Apparently it was too late to recall the books that were sent out. If you goto the books website you can download all the code that was supposed to be on the CD. I believe there should be a link to the website inside of the book somewhere.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
It''s my mistake OpenGLWindow2 isn''t in the zip files. It will be uploaded to the book''s website, but if I remember right, all the needed code for that example is in the book, albeit not as one complete example.

As for the appendix..that whole CD thing was a big mess. We had three different parties working on it with no version control, so in the end it got all mixed up.

To answer your question, OpenGLWindow2 is an example program that was supposed to be on the CD. You''re supposed to know that we''re talking about an example program that''s supposed to be on the CD, and if it''s not there, then something is wrong. As is, it''s not there, so something is wrong.

In any case, I''ll get OpenGLWindow2 on the http://glbook.gamedev.net site under Errata as soon as I can. Might be a few days, though, since the source code isn''t nearby.

Kevin

AP: co-authors are me and Dave "Myopic Rhino" Astle.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I was searching for the OpenGLWindow2 program and I found it on the website for the book. But the way the book is worded seemed to imply that OpenGLWindow2 included support for fullscreen. Is this correct? And if so, can you modify your OpenGLWindow2 code so that it supports fullscreen. The book talks briefly about what to add, just not where to add it in the example code. Thanks!
That is a mistake in the included source code. It does not include the code to make it fullscreen.

I am uploading the correct version to glbook.gamedev.net as soon as I post this message.

Kevin "Khawk" Hawkins
CEO and News Director, GameDev.net
Author, OpenGL Game Programming
Developer Diary

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement