Virtual Serial Port question

Started by
4 comments, last by ollyb342 14 years, 5 months ago
Hey guys, I realise that this is quite a random question, but could someone please point me in the direction of a decent serial port emulator? I've been given an assignment at uni to develop a piece of software in x86 ASM which reads a text file, writes the data through a serial cable, then writes the data into a file at the other end. This is fine in theory, however I do not have any serial ports on my laptop so I could be a bit screwed for testing/working at home. I was hoping I could write the software to go through COM1 and into COM2 using a crossover serial cable, and I wondered if this was possible using an emulator so that I could write the code from home. I've tried using "Virtual Serial Port Emulator", this worked well and I managed to "pair" COM1 and COM2 together, however my "reciever" application did not recieve anything from my "transmitter" app. Any help at all will be appreciated here guys! Olly. Any help at all will be appreciated here.
Advertisement
Not a direct answer, but USB -> serial port devices exist.
-- What would Sweetness do?
clicky
They do, but I'd require 2 of them (to plug a crossover cable) and I don't really have the money to buy them atm (student ^^)

I've looked in the HW group's Virtual Serial Port, sadly the free version only allows you to create one port!

I have until mid-december to do this; I was just hoping that I would be able to work on it at home and not have to trudge into uni everytime I want to work on it!

We need to encrypt the file at one end, and decrypt it at the other; which is gunna take me a while to implement in ASM as you can imagine (because I'm new, and not too adept with it yet!)

I know this is quite an obscure thing I'm looking for, I just imagined that someone may have come across it before
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
clicky

thanks for the swift reply, I'm slightly dubious because it's shareware but I shall try it out and let you know!

I was hoping for a full freeware version though really =S

badgers can't be choosers though, cheers man
Ok, I am now in the midst of ripping my hair out =D

The program that sneftel pointed me to has very kindly pointed out that 12 bytes were sent from the transmitter program, and 12 bytes were recieved by the reciever program. But for some reason it's refusing to print those bytes to the screen?!

can someone look over my reciever code (written in C) and tell me if I've been stupid?

<code>
//RECIEVER.C
#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>
int main(void)
{
FILE *dp;
char c;
if((dp = fopen("COM5","r+")) == NULL)
{
printf("fail");return 1;
}