Freedom not Freeform.

Started by
11 comments, last by Ketchaval 22 years, 8 months ago
Thanks ThoughtBubble for a very succint interpretation of my point!

That said, my topic didn''t give much to discuss. So, it should be opened up a bit. Any ideas?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by ThoughtBubble
Ahem. Keith, thank you for proving my point. Someone still had to decide that objects could be picked up and program the ability to pick up objects. So the only reason that you can pick up the world is that you put in the gameplay mechanics to allow the world to be picked up.

I don't think Keith was disputing that you still have to do a lot of programming but things could be more non-linear as far as what options you have if things are more abstract and atomic. The more you can make things act like objects the better. And any high-level action like flower salesman should be made up of lower-level actions that are reused for other high-levels.

So basically you allocated a certain number of low-level actions such as give, take, jump,stealth, whatever..the more generic, the better...

Then let the player use his/her own creativity to overcome obstacles by combining these actions. Granted you still have to code each generic action but you don't have to code the higher-level actions that consist of combinations of the lower-level ones.

Now we're going to get Bishop_pass in here talking about Soar again j/k

...A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on July 31, 2001 10:12:55 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I see the future of computer games this way: Since the computers are more and more powerfull, soon every stupid game will run on EveryAtomSimulator 3000. Game developers will then challenge more in the content than in the engine, striving for more and more realism simply by better and better copying the world. Then, the game will be as realistic and complicated as you will want it to be. players will still play doom style shotters and wont care they can pretend to be flower sellers or go to town and start real flower seller game
Its late at night here...

regards
Jindrich Kolman
regardsJindrich KolmanLibs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement