Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misterags

Brand New Site for Game Developers! Awesome!

Hey all! I put together a site (I''m still working on it) and temorarily posted it at www.colenso.com/gamedev. But I''m hoping to register gamedev.com soon. At it, all developers can start projects, join projects or whatever and post them there for free! Go check it out, it''s wwww.colenso.com/gamedev. -Eric________________________ I''''m 16 and making millions effortlessly! Email me to find out how!

Wrong forum for this.

Btw, you''re not going to be able to get the gamedev.com domain unless you''re willing to pay a lot of money for it - I know, the owner has tried to sell it to us. In any case, the name GameDev is trademarked by us, so you''d be opening yourself to a lawsuit.

First off, doesn''t mean jack if ''GameDev'' is trademarked...

Secondly, www.gamedev.com has been registered for years...sitters, sitters, everywhere...

G''luck,
-Alamar

So you think I should just keep it at colenso.com/gamedev? Oh, and by the way, if anyone wants to help w/ the site or get some projects under way, let me know. I''d love the help.

-Eric________________________
I''''m 16 and making millions effortlessly! Email me to find out how!

Guest Anonymous Poster
So what is the point of trademarking if you can''t protect what you have trademarked?

Im not an expert on this, but I think this is how it works:

You trademark something, your saying "Im calling my work this name, and you cant call your work this name". Work can be a painting, band name, website name, etc.

That does not mean you own the word. No one can claim ownership to a word. Its just that no one can use that word to name their work.

I saw on TechTV this example: I could register nike.com for my dog nike and put pictures of her on it. I couldnt start selling a product called nike though.

Again, Im not 100% sure, so dont yell at me if Im wrong

---------------
Ratfest.org

I would simply avoid aiding anyone who uses a good name for their own use just because the people who own the name are nice enough not to sue them.

Get an original name or just drop what you''re doing. You''re not GameDev nor will you ever be.

I think it''s very wrong that you infringe on the name GameDev because you can and because you think it will gain you hits to your inferior in every way site. The creators of GameDev put years of work into it and you asking for help just makes it more wrong. They did it themselves. They didn''t ask people to help them make a cheap ripoff of someone else''s site.

It''s equally wrong that the squatter try to get large sums of money for a domain name that contains a name that isn''t his own creation. Judging by how much of an effort was put into getting a better server I highly doubt the owners of GameDev have the money to burn to higher a lawyer to fight over a .com

GameDev is an awesome site and to try to take advantage of it''s popularity for your own gain is messed up. I can''t support it and I don''t think anyone else should either. Unless of course you change the name. Then I may think about what you attempted to do and possibly change my mind.

That''s just my opinion...

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

Companies have to enforce their own copyright. The places that allow registering domains aren''t legally responsible (would be impossible to do anyway) to verify someone owns whatever name.

GameDev.net fits the nature of the site. It''s a network not a company.

I''ve been involved with someone trying to steal my stuff (pre Rabbit Hole) and ripped him and his site up a bit accordingly so I know what it''s like. I used everything I knew to knock him around legally at no cost to myself.

There are some fights you take and some you just let slide.

Ben

Guest Anonymous Poster
whats wrong with you people?
the guy was talking about a site for game developers and
you instantly changed the subject!!!
why do you guys keep doing this

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
whats wrong with you people? the guy was talking about a site for game developers and you instantly changed the subject!!!
Why do you guys keep doing this

It had to do with the choice of gamedev.com by misterags. The group GameDev.NET have done a great job and it''s serious that someone chose to try to compete(even accidentally) merely because he thought of a name. I don''t think that misterags was trying to do ANY of that directly. But many people who have started a game site of their own to host their game are very aware of cyber-squatters(intentional or other-wise) as well as the costs of doing what GameDev.NET is doing on an on-going basis.
Anything that reduces the small revenue stream for GameDev.NET could mean an empty site. I don''t know the resources GameDev.NET has but I''ve seen more than a few good sites go BOOM! Congrats to misterags on making a site available for game devvers but a heads-up on the realities of net life.

ZoomBoy
Developing a iso-tile 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure. See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at Check out my web-site

We changed the subject because it needed to be in order to inform the lamer of what he''s doing wrong.

You can''t "accidently come up with" the name GameDev and then post on GameDev that you are going to use the name GameDev

That alone is arrogent and warrents a flame or five.

Any decent human being upon arriving at GameDev.NET would think "hey, maybe I should change the name because it''s owned by someone."

Don''t congratulate the kid. He''s a lamer plain and simple. It''s obvious it was no accident he chose the name he did. He''s not providing the source of information. He wants other people to provide it to him to post on his site. It''s quite pathetic in every regard.

GameDev is not going anywhere soon because said lamer tries to knowingly use a trademark name for their own purposes.

He''s not going to suck any resources away from GameDev.Net because I don''t think anyone who actually understands why the kid is a lamer (most people) will bother even looking at what he has now. His site will die out a slow painful death depending on how long he drags it out and GameDev will not be phased.

Such cheap sites are a dime a dozen.

Ben

HAHAHA. Has anyone seen his site? Nuff'' said. Btw if your scheme to make 500k in a short time is real, then why do you have juno??

Pactuul

"The thing I like about friends in my classes is that they can''t access my private members directly."

I found this to be a veeeery interesting thread. Although I may have missed the bulk of it, I thought I''d get my self-centered 2 cents in. As a 17 year old game programmer I see a million overambitious "lamers" (although I wouldn''t quite call them that) pumping up their game development sites, or worse, programming "guilds". They pick up 3 or 4 also overambitious newbies and then crap out within a week, leaving nothing to show for it except a square tile-based demo of Quest of Destiny! THE BEST RPG EVER! and a long-dead Geocities account.

My peers make me sick.

I am a hobbyist. I''m not making 500k, nor do I expect to. My programming site (which I''m making it a point NOT to post the url of) gets about 10 hits a month that aren''t mine, but then again the only things up there are my humble projects. I make games for fun, learn what I can because creating artificial universes is what makes me happy. I neither infringe on nor impose any trademarks or restrictions. I release source openly. I''m just a kid. I forego using c++/directx because making decent 1995-standard 3D demos in QBasic is a lot more of a challenge. I know I will never make anything even remotely groundbreaking.

In short, I know my goddamn role.

You may flame me now. I probably won''t visit this forum again for months.

This is INSANE!

Incase you didn''t look at the username, I''m the guy who started this whole crap hole. Let me straighten things out. My name is Eric, and I have been programming for about 4 mos. now. Just yesterday I learned how to plot a pixel, draw a line, a rectangle, etc. in windows using C++. I know VERY little HTML and just use Dreamweaver to create simple sites here and there. I have a church youth group web site that is very successful, and I love game development (by the way, the least of my skills is programming. I am a professional graphic artist and animator). I thought (about 2 mos ago) I would make a site called gamedev.com where developers would get together to start games. I HAD NEVER HEARD OF GAMEDEV.NET UNTIL ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO. I swear. I heard about it in a C++ book, and decided to check it out, not knowing that I would start this riot sue-age. I''m thinking of a new name, and when I do I will change it. Sorry.

-Eric________________________
I''''m 16 and making millions effortlessly! Email me to find out how!

(Trying not to be too harsh), but damn. Learn to do your reaserch and try to be humble. The guys on this forum could teach you a lot. -and they will if you just change your screen name and hang around the NEWBIE forum.

""
(by the way, the least of my skills is programming. I am a professional graphic artist and animator)
""

Lol. I thought that when i was 17 too.

zTn