Brand New Site for Game Developers! Awesome!

Started by
24 comments, last by misterags 22 years, 8 months ago
Hey all! I put together a site (I''m still working on it) and temorarily posted it at www.colenso.com/gamedev. But I''m hoping to register gamedev.com soon. At it, all developers can start projects, join projects or whatever and post them there for free! Go check it out, it''s wwww.colenso.com/gamedev. -Eric________________________ I''''m 16 and making millions effortlessly! Email me to find out how!
Advertisement
It''s nice that you''re working on a Game Development site. But please don''t register gamedev.com. gamedev.com + gamedev.net = mass_confusion!!
Wrong forum for this.

Btw, you''re not going to be able to get the gamedev.com domain unless you''re willing to pay a lot of money for it - I know, the owner has tried to sell it to us. In any case, the name GameDev is trademarked by us, so you''d be opening yourself to a lawsuit.
Hey Myopic, since GD.net has a trademark on "GameDev" cannot you sue the guy that owns GameDev.com?
First off, doesn''t mean jack if ''GameDev'' is trademarked...

Secondly, www.gamedev.com has been registered for years...sitters, sitters, everywhere...

G''luck,
-Alamar
So you think I should just keep it at colenso.com/gamedev? Oh, and by the way, if anyone wants to help w/ the site or get some projects under way, let me know. I''d love the help.

-Eric________________________
I''''m 16 and making millions effortlessly! Email me to find out how!
So what is the point of trademarking if you can''t protect what you have trademarked?
So what is the point of trademarking if you can''t protect what you have trademarked?
Im not an expert on this, but I think this is how it works:

You trademark something, your saying "Im calling my work this name, and you cant call your work this name". Work can be a painting, band name, website name, etc.

That does not mean you own the word. No one can claim ownership to a word. Its just that no one can use that word to name their work.

I saw on TechTV this example: I could register nike.com for my dog nike and put pictures of her on it. I couldnt start selling a product called nike though.

Again, Im not 100% sure, so dont yell at me if Im wrong

---------------
Ratfest.org
I would simply avoid aiding anyone who uses a good name for their own use just because the people who own the name are nice enough not to sue them.

Get an original name or just drop what you''re doing. You''re not GameDev nor will you ever be.

I think it''s very wrong that you infringe on the name GameDev because you can and because you think it will gain you hits to your inferior in every way site. The creators of GameDev put years of work into it and you asking for help just makes it more wrong. They did it themselves. They didn''t ask people to help them make a cheap ripoff of someone else''s site.

It''s equally wrong that the squatter try to get large sums of money for a domain name that contains a name that isn''t his own creation. Judging by how much of an effort was put into getting a better server I highly doubt the owners of GameDev have the money to burn to higher a lawyer to fight over a .com

GameDev is an awesome site and to try to take advantage of it''s popularity for your own gain is messed up. I can''t support it and I don''t think anyone else should either. Unless of course you change the name. Then I may think about what you attempted to do and possibly change my mind.

That''s just my opinion...

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement