A frist attempt c++ game

Started by
5 comments, last by DariusBoone 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi there. I've been working with C# and XNA for some time now (mainly due to college and uni) and I have been learning C++ in my own (limited) spare time. Now, how ever, I feel confident enough to try my hand at creating my first game. I know that unlike C# and XNA, making games isn't as straight forward. I was just wondering what you chaps and chapettes think I should jump onto next so that I can start making my own games in c++. The end goal here is to make an impressive enough game that I can get a job in the games industry as a programmer. All be it a graduate programmer.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by DriveByBaptism
I know that unlike C# and XNA, making games isn't as straight forward.

How do you know that? you can make both advanced and simple games in any language. To create good 3D graphics, you need a wrapper for OpenGL or DirecX, but most language have that.

If you're comfortable with c# and xna you should make games with it.
afaik it's a good language and a powerful environment. And as long as it's only your first game, you should be more focused on learning to develop games, than to create a cv.
Beside if you're good at making games in c# (or practically any language), it should be pretty simple to make a game in c++
Quote:Original post by VildNinja

How do you know that? you can make both advanced and simple games in any language. To create good 3D graphics, you need a wrapper for OpenGL or DirecX, but most language have that.

If you're comfortable with c# and xna you should make games with it.
afaik it's a good language and a powerful environment. And as long as it's only your first game, you should be more focused on learning to develop games, than to create a cv.
Beside if you're good at making games in c# (or practically any language), it should be pretty simple to make a game in c++

You just said it buddy. You need to know DirectX or OpenGL. Two things I do not know lol.

In regards to the jobs: look at 90% of the games programmer jobs out there at the moment. They all ask that you have 2+ years knowledge of C++. A pain in the back side, but something I need to do.

Quote:Original post by DriveByBaptism
You just said it buddy. You need to know DirectX or OpenGL. Two things I do not know lol.

He said you need a wrapper for OpenGL or DirectX. You can make games with C++ without knowing anything of either of those. The easiest approach is to use a library. Popular choices include OGRE3D (3D) or SDL (2D).
Unless you what you want to do is create a game on a engine you write in which case you do need to know OpenGL or DirectX. Read Nehe tutorials on OpenGL they are available on this site.
Since you know how to make games in C# and XNA, you probably already understand game logic, which is pretty language-independent.

As for the graphics side of things, you'll probably want to start off simple, so stick with 2D. SDL is my recommendation, there are many of tutorials for it, and you'll get a good insight into how you can display graphics in C++.

Then once you've done a few months in SDL, and really know it well, take a look at OpenGL. OpenGL is a nice library to use because it's cross platform, and you don't need to be familiar with the Windows API to use it well.

It can also run well with SDL, so it's the logical step forward in this case for learning to produce 3D graphics.

If you need any help in a few months, feel free to PM me! :)

Sputty
I also recommend the SDL, you should be able to get it up and running in no time. Check out this tutorial site. The SDL is more C-ish than C++, but it might be a good exercise in class design to try and encapsulate all the function calls into logical containers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement