People who are writing MFC Editors

Started by
2 comments, last by AndUhBewareOfThePenguin 24 years, 6 months ago
Hi !

Well, my reason is TIME !!!! Using MFC everything works fine, and development goes fast. I have done a lot of windows programs using MFC and I can reuse a lot of my classes. I already was working on a library as you say, but this simply takes to long. If you have a GUI-Library, you have to program a resource-editor so you can develop your GUI using your mouse and visuals !!

For my new game I will write such a GUI-System for my game-menus and so on, but for editors MFC is great !!!

Another advantage is, that everyone can work with it, because it's standard !! I could write a nice, fancy GUI for my editor, but if I give it to the people who work with that, they have to learn how to use it. If they see a standard Windows-Program they can begin immediately with their work !!

I don't understand why so much people "hate" Microsoft. They are good. Let's see DirectX ! Firstly all programmers said : It's bad, it's slow, it's damn complicated. Now, where everybody is into it, they say : Oh great API !! What IDE are you using ?? Microsoft Visual C/C++ ?? Why ?? Because it's the best one !!

Phillip

Phillip Schuster
Advertisement
I tried going completely Microsoft free in the previous versions. You'll notice all the PR utilities and Landscape Studio run in full screen 3D mode so they can be ported to any platform. However I've found that people want nice drop down menus and dialogs and so on.

With PR 3 I've decided to drop OpenGL and Glide and along with them any possibility of porting to other platforms. It just isn't worth the time when most people use Windows to play games. No other platform has 3D acceleration supported as well as Windows.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Why are you guys using MFC? You should code a portable gui library which will call PR directx/glide/opengl drawing code so that you could use the code in game(in fullscreen more importantly) and free yourself from Monopo$oft control. Either that or draw on textures and popup two triangles that cover the screen.
Phil:

>>Hi ! Well, my reason is TIME !!!! Using >>MFC everything works fine, and development >>goes fast.

(cough-cough)
So you haven't found the leaks yet...

>>I have done a lot of windows programs >>using MFC and I can reuse a lot of my >>classes.
>>I already was working on a library as you >>say, but this simply takes to long. If you >>have a GUI-Library, you have to program a >>resource-editor so you can develop your >>GUI using your mouse and visuals !!
>>For my new game I will write such a GUI->>System for my game-menus and so on, but >>for editors MFC is great !!!

You say it takes time, yet you say you're already working on it - and you will go back and write one for a game?

So if you follow code reuse then you would just code your game-menus. Why waste time in MFC and then go back and do a portable gui library?

>>Another advantage is, that everyone can >>work with it, because it's standard !!

C,C++ is ANSI standard - I would hardly call code that M$ can change as it wills as a standard.

If you can code "everyone can work with it".
Clean code like Chris' - everyone can work with it. If you can think clearly and code correctly everything will be fine(document too ).

>>I could write a nice, fancy GUI for my >>editor, but if I give it to the people who >>work with that, they have to learn how to >>use it. If they see a standard Windows->>Program they can begin immediately with >>their work !!

Who said anything about a fancy gui? Why not just copy windows controls and gui - hell copy the function calls if want. Then it'll be "standard".

>>I don't understand why so much >>people "hate" Microsoft.

People say "If you've never been robbed - you never been robbed" - when it happens you'll finally understand.

>>They are good. Let's see DirectX !
>>Firstly all programmers said : It's bad, >>it's slow, it's damn complicated.

Good- hahahahah - ok, Where was Directx5 on NT? Why did microsoft have to control who could use directx where. I never said it's slow - I never said its complicated. Why did they try to mess up opengl - what were they trying to stop? Why did carmack pick opengl over directx? They were trying to stop people from freedom to choose baby!
DirectX is faster but opengl is everywhere and not controlled by an org bent on keeping people on their platform. Someday when 2000 ships nt users will finally have a directx version(with better api calls - when)

>>Now, where everybody is into it, they >>say : Oh great API !!

I never said that.

>>What IDE are you using ?? Microsoft Visual C/C++ ?? Why ?? Because it's the best one !!

Code Fusion, Medit, Code Right.

How come M$ Blind C:

tries to hide ANSI & STL stuff

no color printing ( version 99 sp843?)

sp2 of 6.0 has bad problems

syntaxing - stolen from borland - in the beginning all they had was black & white.

how many versions of blind c shipped and we still don't have the powerful editing of above mentioned editors.

how come I need a 29' monitor to see my code on one screen with all the aids.

Charles

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement