• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX7 framerate problem.

This topic is 6118 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote a simple tetris app with DirectDraw7. In my main loop i keep a frames counter, and also calculate the time since the last call to the main game loop. Everytime the it''s been more than a second, do a simple: float fps = 1000*totalFrames/accumulatedTicks; (the multiplication time 1000 is because accumulatedTicks is in milleseconds) Anyway, i run my program and it spits out a number around 75 fps. After exiting my program i look at task manager and noticed my program took 100% processor usage during it''s duration. Thinking that was strange i was only getting 75 fps using 100% of my P3 600 i put a sleep into my loop. I told it to sleep for 10 milliseconds, and ran my program again. My program remained at 75 fps, and my processor usage dropped to about 50%. Any more than 10 millisecond sleep started slowing down my fps. My question is why is my fps so low, am i even calculating the fps correctly, and what should i do about this rather unsatisfactory performance? -Terrax

Advertisement
Hello,

It seems that you have vsync on (it''s on by default I think)..
So, it caps to 75fps because your monitor''s refresh rate is at 75 - try increasing the refresh rate from windows or disabling vsync, that should give you much better results

This is a programming a dos game in windows issue...

Windows programs are message based, and if you''re making somethere where if you don''t have a message, you go to your gameloop, then you will suck up a lot of processing power that does nothing.

It doesn''t mean You''re actually using a lot of CPU power, it just means that it''s not in the idle loop most of the time, like normal windows programs...

For your particular app, you''re wasting a lot of time waiting for screen refreshes, as stated above, but disabling vsync is not the answer. Sure, you can get a few hundred fps, but what would be the point in a tetris game? What would be better for your computer and such a ''simple'' app would be to get rid of the game loop and instead, use a timer message to control your game speed.

G''luck,
-Alamar

• Advertisement