Does the size matter?

Started by
0 comments, last by Pho 22 years, 9 months ago
I hear a lot of talk about the size of display lists, triangle strips and other stuff... But the Red Book doesn’t say much about those. Are there any limits to the number of vertices that can be put in one DL or triangle strip ? What happens when( if ) this limit is bypassed ? An example. In my space sim, I am encapsulating all the stars in one big fat display list. If the user’s choice for stars visibility is magnitude 7 ( yes, I know that magnitude 7 is invisible to human eye ), there are more than 15 000 ‘GL_POINTS’ in DL. I haven’t witnessed any slowdowns, so apparently this high number doesn’t surpass any possible limit. So, does it mean that there are absolutely no limits to the number of elements that can be put in one DL ? And what about triangle strips ? How long can these be ? Is the length / size different for every hardware ( GeForce, Radeon, Voodoo5... ) or is it constant among different implementations ? Thanks Pho
Advertisement
i believe the only limit is memory BUT there is a limit if u want max performance with DL + vertex arrays its usually 64kb though different cards may have different values.
also with vertex arrays u can query the max recomment indices/vertices check out the glDrawRangeElements(..0 spec for the necessary function

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement