OpenGL Buttons/Menus/Combo Boxes etc etc

Started by
3 comments, last by MARS_999 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi all, I've been thinking some more about updating the UI for my app. It makes use of a OpenGL component to visualize the map, but I want the app to look better. Currently the app is a dialog box (as I mentioned in a similar thread) with drop downs, data displays control buttons etc. How easy is this is do in OpenGL? I'd really like to make all the parts look much better than simple windows stuff. Are there any apps that you can design the UI in a similar way you would in visual studio, but for OpenGL, generating the code out the back end? Is this a completely bad way of going about this? Thanks for any advise Mark
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by markgame66
Currently the app is a dialog box (as I mentioned in a similar thread) with drop downs, data displays control buttons etc. How easy is this is do in OpenGL? I'd really like to make all the parts look much better than simple windows stuff.
Much harder to do in OpenGL than in a native GUI, and very hard to approach the quality of interaction offered by native GUI components.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

what would be used in games? I guess they'd have some similar concepts?
Quote:Original post by markgame66
what would be used in games? I guess they'd have some similar concepts?
Game GUI's don't need nearly the number of widgets provided by native GUIs. At most, your main menu/options screen needs buttons, checkboxes and sliders, along with textual labels. Many games get by with far less (i.e. pre-rendered buttons only).

If you are designing a tool/editor which requires significant GUI interaction, my strong suggestion is to stick to embedding your rendering in a native GUI context.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Use GUICHAN google it good stuff and works with OpenGL!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement