A Learning Game

Started by
11 comments, last by Wavinator 14 years, 4 months ago
Ok. My idea is to have a web-based, though it could easily be desktop, point-n-click game to teach you a new language. Nothing fancy or graphically intensive. Basically, the player will walk through different areas (marketplace, park, commercial district, industrial plant, office building, etc) and in each area, the use of the (new) language will increase. The last 2-4 levels will be completely in that language. Though the complexity of the sentences/speech will increase as well. I was thinking of more of a reconnaissance type game where you gather information. Also your use of the language could either give you more or less information. Also the amount of time it takes you to respond to an answer (typing for now) also determines how much and the quality of the information. The hangup I have is the presentation and the flow of the game. I want it to feel spy-like but also have the player actively engaged and learning. Not just click, click, click. If you would like more details on this idea, please do ask.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

At first I wasn't sure, but now I think this might be a pretty cool idea. If your a spy going on a mission, you could meet up with a local operative who speaks broken English (assuming this is for players who are English trying to learn another language). As the game goes on, your required to learn more and more of the specific language.

You could find notes that leave you clues, so not only do you need to know the language you need to figure out the clues in the messages. You might need to send messages, or perhaps you need to answer a question in the language so you don't blow your cover.

It could be a very interesting puzzle/learning type game. I like it!
-)------ Ed
Is the point of the game to be a "real" game or to learn a language?

As in, can you beat the game and still not be fluent in a language?

Can you be fluent in a language but haven't beaten the game yet?

(Fluent is a strong word I know, your game will most likely be really long =p)
Quote:Original post by SigmaX

At first I wasn't sure, but now I think this might be a pretty cool idea. If your a spy going on a mission, you could meet up with a local operative who speaks broken English (assuming this is for players who are English trying to learn another language). As the game goes on, your required to learn more and more of the specific language.

You could find notes that leave you clues, so not only do you need to know the language you need to figure out the clues in the messages. You might need to send messages, or perhaps you need to answer a question in the language so you don't blow your cover.

The problem with this is that, assuming you're using real languages, if somebody already knows said language the game becomes trivial. Which sort of defeats the purpose.

It goes back to what I was saying: Is it a game, or a way to learn a language?

If it's a game, I would say just make up a language such as Al Bhed in FFX or something...If it's meant to learn languages, you could make many different versions of the game such as Game: Spanish version, so if you already knew Spanish it obviously wouldn't be for you.

Well the game is meant to learn a language (not a 100%, but you get the idea). There is a beginning and an end though. Let's say you're learning a language in a video game format.

It seems to me that the simplest way to prototype a game like this would be as an IF (interactive fiction) game. It sounds like the game would be writing- and puzzle-heavy (with the puzzles depending on you figuring out how the language works), and IF games specialize in those areas. Inform 7 should give you a quick way to set up a scene, add some objects with descriptions, set up some interactions, and so on without having to worry about artwork, physics, or all that other stuff.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
I thought of a scenario where the player would get a primer on how to ask for (simple) things. From there, he would go to the marketplace and ask around for the location of a monument.From there an operative would give you information, but the information's accuracy is based on whether you engage in English or [language X]. You will either get vague info or very specific info.

Quote:Original post by Derakon
It seems to me that the simplest way to prototype a game like this would be as an IF (interactive fiction) game. It sounds like the game would be writing- and puzzle-heavy (with the puzzles depending on you figuring out how the language works), and IF games specialize in those areas. Inform 7 should give you a quick way to set up a scene, add some objects with descriptions, set up some interactions, and so on without having to worry about artwork, physics, or all that other stuff.

That sounds very interesting. I'll do some reading on it.

Quote:Original post by SigmaX

I was thinking of different way to implement these things.
Some ideas I was thinking of are:
  • Log to record conversations and from who
  • A camera to take pictures and GPS tag them
  • Metal Gear Solid like COMM assistance
  • Acquiring informants and having them feed you information from time to time

Who is Oscar Lake? Instant Immersion Spanish, v2.0

It's a fun little mystery story and you learn spanish while playing it.
--"I'm not at home right now, but" = lights on, but no ones home

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement