Directx 8 Books

Started by
3 comments, last by nanobyte 22 years, 5 months ago
I am looking into buying some books on directx 8 covering 2d and/or 3d. Most people have recommended that I buy: The Zen of Direct3D Game Programming or Beginning Direct3d Game Programming (some bad reviews on amazon). I found one other book that I haven''t heard much about: 3D Game Programming With Directx 8.0 by Clayton Crooks. Anyone know if this is any good? You can find it on amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1584500867/ref=pd_sbs_b_4/103-3263797-7123032 Thanks and if you have any other suggestions, I would aprreciate ''em.
Advertisement
You probably haven''t heard much on this book because it''s not in print until December . I am also having a hard time finding books on DirectX too. I read Beginning Direct3D Game Programming which was fairly good if its NOT your only resource.
Do you know if "3D Game Programming With Directx 8.0" will be for Visual Basic or Visual C++ ?
The Zen book is ok BUT...
The first half is about GDI & Windows (good refresher/learning material and not a waste of pages) the.

2D stuff is OK but I don''t think its the "RIGHT" way to do it, it all about manipulating the backbuffer the way you would do with DirectDraw in previous releases of DirectX and doesn''t use much hardware accelleration/funky features like alpha blending. This maybe good for writing an old 2D style game but I would be more intrested in making a HUD/Console for a 3D game with a alpha blended background

The maths bit looks quit good for beginners and all I know about the 3D stuff is I don''t think it goes too deep into it. On the upside its very easy to understand.

Can I have some other peoples oppinions on the 2D stuff?

"Beginning Direct 3D Game Programming" is a good reference, I found the auther often went into things which hadn''t been explained yet but came clear a couple of pages later. After the texture mapping stuff I don''t think theres enough detail on stuff like bump/environment mapping. Then there''s a big bit on .md3 files but no animation for them is covered oh well.

If I''ve missed anything or given false information please correct me

Hope you find the book you are looking for

X2K
"Sam''s Teach Yourself Direct X 7 in 24 Hours" is good.

It''s not totally DirectX 8 but it goes into DDraw, D3D, DInput, DPlay, etc.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement