Reviews of The Zen of Direct3d Game Programming

Started by
9 comments, last by KingsRevenge 22 years, 6 months ago
Could you all that own this book please post a review of your ideas about this book, I only have seen 1 on amazon I would like to hear more people''s opinioins about it. Eric Wright o0Programmer0o AcidRain Productions http://www.acidrainproductions.com
Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
Advertisement
Well, judging that the fact that nobody has bought this book, I think that you can answer your own question
"This is stupid. I can't believe this! Ok, this time, there really IS a bug in the compiler."... 20 mins pass ..."I'M AN IDIOT!!!"
I bought it but didnt think it would be that good, but I was wrong. The book was very well written and provides some good knowledge of Direct3D8. Now the book is mostly Direct3D8 with very little about other aspects of game dev which is ok because the book is called ''Zen of Direct3D..''. At first I wasn''t going to buy it because LaMothe''s name was on it but reading threw it I could tell he didnt write it. If you are hesitant about it pick up another book on Direct3D and maybe get another one of the Zen books because the structure of the books makes for easy reading. I personally hate books that provide ALOT of information but are very difficult to read. I got just enough information from this book to make my neurons in my head spark. Hope this helps.

------
Andrew T. Finnell
Software Engineer
e-Security Inc.
------Andrew T. FinnellSoftware Engineere-Security Inc.
I ordered this book the other day off amazon and will receive it Tuesday. I''ll read it and post a review.
Ohh cool

AcidRain Productions
http://www.acidrainproductions.com
Look at the review someone on amazon posted:

quote:I waited a very long time for this book to come out and I''m VERY dissapointed in it''s content. First off, the first 400 pages of this book have NOTHING to do with Direct3D. What do we get? - YET AGAIN another book that discusses in detail the differences between C vs C++ (come on!!), basic Windows programming, SPRITE concepts, very basic 3D math, etc. The next 100+ pages covers 2D sprite engines / animations. The last 100 pages is a useless reference of Direct3D interfaces that you can get from the Direct3D docs. ALL OF THIS STUFF has been covered MUCH BETTER in other books. How often can the same book be written?

The actual Direct3D stuff is beyond basic. There is no detailed discussion of multi-textures, bump mapping, etc. Most importantly, however, and the BIGGEST OMMISSION IN ALL BOOK OF THIS KIND(!!) is the fact that it does not implement a simple 3D shooter type game whatsoever. What it gives you is a few libraries for making cubes and spheres (wow...how useful). And there is no discussion of LOADING and USING any actual 3D ANIMATED models. Forget about things like collision detection and scene management.

PLEASE!! Someone write a book that actually implements (and, just as important, discusses the implementation in detail) a very simple 3D shooter game - complete with .X file animated model loading, advanced multi-texturing, collission detection, scene management, etc!! There have been totally terrible books like this that don''t even allude to these things, and also books that discuss these items THEORECTICALLY. But PLEASE someone write one that actually shows HOW.....LaMothe, please move your books in this direction and STOP writing the same book over and over.....This is the last book I''ll ever buy from PrimaTech otherwise.

Note he also gave it 1 star, is the stuff that he said true?

AcidRain Productions
I havent read THIS book in the series but I''ve been reading the beginners DirectX game programming book and most of the things he is bitching about here is covered in that book. Also if you read this book or any other 3d book and expect them to implement a 3dshooter your an idiot because the book is just meant to teach you how to use the tools available to you the rest is up to you. I''m sure the author proboly put in stuff about movement and other fundmentals. Anyway thier are a ton of resorces and open source game engines on the internet so......wait for some real reviews and not just people who expect to be game programming gurus after reading 1 book......I wanna end with some thing good but....I have nothing
Heh, thanks cause after seeing his review, it made me debate whether to get Zen or to get Multiplayer Game Programming.

AcidRain Productions
Any new reviews?

AcidRain Productions
I actually just got this book, and it seems to do a great job covering the DX8 3D stuff (I can''t complain). Unfortunately, a lot of aspects are left for the reader to figure out (including collision detection. Does anyone have a link for good articles on 3D collision detection? I''ve been doing 2D game programming for years, but have just started looking into 3D -- I don''t care if bounding spheres are "easy", just give me a sight link already

I haven''t seen any other good books on DX8 stuff, so I might not be the best resource in comparing this to other books, but I find it very well written, and the author makes the stuff easy to understand.

-Chris
---<<>>--- Chris Rouillard Software Engineercrouilla@hotmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement