Rate post not users

Started by
56 comments, last by phresnel 14 years ago
I quite dislike the rating system.

I've lurked around these forums for a long time, as there are some genuinely intelligent and helpful people. I find jpetrie and Toorhvyk (I probably spelled that wrong) amongst other to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

That said, I have also never encountered a more hostile set of forums on the internet. I'd much rather post on the WoW/battle.net forums, TIGSource, heck u name it, than here. You learn rather quickly that despite that there are some amazing ppl on here, there are also some complete assholes; with very high rankings, who have no interest in do nothing more than belittling others. You cross one the wrong way, and regardless of how accurate or correct or nice you are in presenting your case, your ranking will be tanked.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by snake5
I think that there's one more problem which should be solved by using this idea. People might downrate a post just because they don't agree with/like it. That's extremely wrong in complex discussions when there's no single right answer.
I increasingly have the feeling that I may be wrong, but I always assumed that everybody does use your guidelines for rating. While I will uprate for a wide variety of reasons, I only downrate when someone is posting blatant misinformation, or being a complete arse.

That pretty much means that I don't give ratings at all in the Lounge, Game Design, Visual Arts, or Music & Sound, because I am in no position to judge the accuracy therein.
Quote:That's where the "Like" idea should work better because there's no negative vibes coming except the ones in the text and only for those who fail to see the point.
I think we are probably stuck on disagreeing on this one, but to my mind the negative ratings are the *only* value of the current system. To my mind, the rating you have doesn't affect me nearly as much as the rating I have. As other have mentioned, I can tell in a couple of posts whether someone else is an ass, but it can be a lot harder to see that in oneself. The current rating system gives the user a hint about how the community views their own posting style.

On that note, I became much happier with the V5 rating system when one of the staff mentioned we could give negative ratings in that system (i.e. a tag of '+5 troll').

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by Ryan_001
That said, I have also never encountered a more hostile set of forums on the internet. I'd much rather post on the WoW/battle.net forums, TIGSource, heck u name it, than here. You learn rather quickly that despite that there are some amazing ppl on here, there are also some complete assholes; with very high rankings, who have no interest in do nothing more than belittling others. You cross one the wrong way, and regardless of how accurate or correct or nice you are in presenting your case, your ranking will be tanked.
I don't know if you visit many programming communities, but amoungst other programming websites/mailing lists that I belong to, gamedev.net is actually up there at the top. I think programmers in general hold each other to a much higher standard that a gaming website like the WoW forums or whatever.
Quote:
You cross one the wrong way, and regardless of how accurate or correct or nice you are in presenting your case, your ranking will be tanked.

Here's the thing, though. Who cares? I personally feel it's a poor assumption that a relatively new user will have enough wherewithal to grok the "point" of the user rating within the first few weeks on the site -- they'll probably ignore it if they notice it at all. I've seen at least three cases offhand where people have asked what that "user rating thing" is for.

And for somebody like you, who seems to be saying you look for intelligent and reasonable people without much regard to what their user rating actually is(*), but rather based on the quality of their responses and how they generally comport themselves, it seems you wouldn't matter that much what your own rating is. So why let that stop you? Why get so hung up on it? We're all pretty much agreed that it's a somewhat-technically-biased popularity contest.

Somebody who ignores the lower-users post just because their rating is lower is probably far too superficially focused. I find it rather difficult to do that, in fact, since the rating is after the actual post.

(*) I do find it amusing, however, that the two users you chose to name as specific examples -- myself and ToohrVyk -- are rather highly rated.

Quote:
I think that there's one more problem which should be solved by using this idea. People might downrate a post just because they don't agree with/like it.

There is always the option of having a cost to down-voting or whatever the "negative" option is. This could prevent people from down-voting just for the hell of it. Although it isn't a perfect solution either, because somebody like me could probably downvote quite a bit without really worrying about it, since I have so much positive rating stored up. Perhaps a percentage-based solution...
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Somebody who ignores the lower-users post just because their rating is lower is probably far too superficially focused. I find it rather difficult to do that, in fact, since the rating is after the actual post.

Yes, and no. There is an option in the control panel allowing a person to automatically ignore a user below X rating. Meaning you may never seen the post to begin with, be it a good, correct answer or not. I am not sure how many people actually use that feature. I know I don't, but that is because I think everyone has the right or possibly privilege to be heard. I say privilege because when scanning a post and it is blatantly obvious that it is garbage than that is where I will skip it, simply by scrolling down by it.

EDIT: Realized I quoted the wrong part . . .
EDIT2: Typo!

[Edited by - blackbird04217 on March 2, 2010 1:56:38 PM]
Quote:Original post by blackbird04217
Quote:Original post by jpetrie

(*) I do find it amusing, however, that the two users you chose to name as specific examples -- myself and ToohrVyk -- are rather highly rated.

Yes, and no. There is an option in the control panel allowing a person to automatically rate a user below X rating. Meaning you may never seen the post to begin with, be it a good, correct answer or not. I am not sure how many people actually use that feature. I know I don't, but that is because I think everyone has the right or possibly privilege to be heard. I say privilege because when scanning a post and it is blatantly obvious that it is garbage than that is where I will skip it, simply by scrolling down by it.

According to Superpig, who has access to the database, it's around 1%:
Quote:Original post by Superpig
And users do pay some attention to the ratings of those they read, though only around 1% of registered user accounts actually filter out posts with ratings below a given threshold.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Quote:There is an option in the control panel allowing a person to automatically rate a user below X rating.

Lol, that's a weird thing to do. It could be (and probably is) in the top 10 of weird options you can add to the forums... :D I'm sorry if this offends anyone but really - forum should be a happier place not a "let's f**k up his rating" place.
Quote:There is an option in the control panel allowing a person to automatically rateignore a user below X rating.

Lol, that's a weird thing to do. It could be (and probably is) in the top 10 of weird options you can add to the forums... :D I'm sorry if this offends anyone but really - forum should be a happier place not a "let's f**k up his rating" place.
I fixed it... the option is actually to ignore people below a certain rating (that is, their posts don't even show up for you).

Generally, it's kind of useless, since most other people don't use it, so you can still see their replies and the conversation looks kind of weird if you can only see one side of it.
Quote:Original post by Codeka
Generally, it's kind of useless, since most other people don't use it, so you can still see their replies and the conversation looks kind of weird if you can only see one side of it.
I turned it on to its lowest setting once, to avoid a particularly annoying zero-troll, and very quickly found that I had no idea what the hell everyone was talking about. And then of course, you can still see all the other people quoting and flaming the troll... overall, completely useless as an option.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by Codeka
Quote:There is an option in the control panel allowing a person to automatically rateignore a user below X rating.

I fixed it... the option is actually to ignore people below a certain rating (that is, their posts don't even show up for you).

Yea, thanks for the fix, I typed too quickly for my own good apparently.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement