Rate post not users

Started by
56 comments, last by phresnel 14 years, 1 month ago
Wow, lol:
Quote:Bah! This is just a method of repressing people with unpopular views!
It's a form of community self-moderation, yes. But it's still very possible to express an unpopular opinion - if you remain polite and calm as you do so, people generally won't rate you down. Sure, there's always a few who will use the rating system as a way to express their disagreement with your viewpoint, but there's an equal if not greater number of people who will actually rate you up for having both the guts to speak out and the intelligence to do it well.

Where are those people? [grin]

EDIT: I almost forgot.. how soon could we get V5?

[Edited by - snake5 on March 7, 2010 4:49:15 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by snake5

Look around - don't you see here many many smart and knowledgeable people with rating > 1000? I do.
How do you imagine they get such rating if not from other people?
It seems to me that you completely misunderstood the point of my post. I think that you should read it again. ;)
Quote:Original post by snake5
Everywhere! Then again I only rate people positively. (Shown by all of the users with a 1015 rating >_>).

An easy way to grind rating though is to just help people in the for beginners or the math forum. Most of the questions are pretty trivial for anyone with a math background. Then you take the points and spend them in the lounge.

Should be interesting to see what the V5 system has in store. I quite like the idea of tags. Should be nice to get tags. (If that's still in the design).
It would help if there was some indication as to why the rating was given. Half the time I don't even know from what thread it was pertaining to. It also kind of sucks that individuals who mark poorly are not listed, it would allow other users better discretion when reviewing the rating. I would assume the rating is not just to tell others what others think of them but to maybe help the individual poster improve themselves. When I get rated poorly I fear/hate everyone involved who is a possible suspect and wonder what their intentions where. I can handle other members criticisms when I can manage them productively. When the criticism doesn't even make sense or in most of these cases isn't even presented, well, I are hurted.

Honestly I wish I had a zero and that the reliance was on the individual to know who I am as a member of the forum. I am an emotional and I can get pretty distressed over trivial matters. It sucks that some members are capable of chasing away other members for reasons not always of a mature nature.
-------------------------------------All my life all I ever wanted to be was, Gangsta!
Bringing this thread back from the dead because recently I was rated negatively, which I have no problems with my rating dropping. But I do have an issue with the fact that can not change my posting habits, (which I believe to remain positive and helpful as much as I can), if I do not have the ability to know why someone though something I wrote was negative in anyway...

I think that to rate someone negatively that the person should be required to have a reason, that can be reviewed by the person left in question. I can look at my rating, and see those whom rated positively for me - great, but when something negative comes I can't learn from mistakes? I don't mind keeping that anonymous still, but at least a reason. And if that is impossible, at the _very_ minimum showing each post that was rated negatively, and a negative counter next to it. I would rather have a reason, as personally I strive to better myself and I can't do that with no reason.

So when you click on Personal Rating in the Control Panel you would see a list of links to Posts (preferably with Reasons) where/why you were voted negatively. (Keeping those who rated negatively anonymous if desired/required? Though why should that be anonymous if positive ratings aren't?)
Quote:the person should be required to have a reason

Yes just like code comments and commit logs, erm wait let me rethink that.
Quote:Original post by CmpDev
Quote:the person should be required to have a reason

Yes just like code comments and commit logs, erm wait let me rethink that.

Sliding off topic, but code comments and commit logs are different things. And of course you *should* write a good and concise commit log (which is btw easier if you commit small and often).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement