DX MSVC++ Question

Started by
10 comments, last by the_grip 22 years, 8 months ago
Hello... recently i''ve had some free time at work, so i''m trying to sneak in some work on a couple projects. i did this once before, and it worked fine, but now i''m getting problems... Here''s the deal - i create a new project with all the header and source files for my project. Then, i go to Project->Settings and set up the link tab to add the libraries ddraw.lib and dxguid.lib, but MSVC++ still won''t compile my programs ''cause it doesn''t have a clue as to what LPDIRECTDRAW7 is, etc. Anyone have any suggestions? i know i''m missing something small... "You call him Dr. Grip, doll!"
"You call him Dr. Grip, doll!"
Advertisement
Have you told MSVC where your ddraw h-files are?
Well, i did go to Tools->Options->Directories tabs and added the ...\MSSDK\Include and ...\MSSDK\Lib directories. Is that what you mean?

Yep. Remember to add the directories to right places (Include directories and library directories)
hmm... done that... any other ideas appreciated...

Edited by - the_grip on July 25, 2001 10:31:25 AM
Make sure the DX sdk directories are b4 the visual studio directories . VS6 comes with dx3 or 5 headers that is why it doesnt know the meaning of ...................
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Now this is a very stupid question but as I can''t find any other problem - do you have the ddraw.h-file included in the source code in all source files?
Hmm, that seems to be it. However, now i get a:

...error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DirectDrawCreateEx@16...error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectDraw7  

i've dealt with this stuff before... i just can't remember how i fixed it.

NOTE: This was in response to moving the include and lib directories to the top of the list. i did include ddraw.h, but that's not a stupid question (i'm fallable like everyone else :D)

Edited by - the_grip on July 25, 2001 10:42:29 AM
Hmm.. it reports same errors for me if I take out the ddraw.lib and dxguid.lib.. are you sure you are using the same build configuration to build where you included the libraries? (ie. Win32 Debug / Win32 Release)
Doh! Figured it out... i put the \lib directory in the include portion instead of the Library Files portion.

Thanks everyone for the help! i appreciate it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement