Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teej

05.05 - (B) Game Completion Lounge

TheTramp    122
DarkTerrax:
Your tetris game inspired me to add lots of features to mine, and I also thought your way of loading the pieces was a bit weird - the way I would have done if I wanted to keep the file separate is to include the pieces.dat as a custom resource... but your way works fine.

FragLegs:
I liked your snake game a lot, it reminds me of nibbles, and that cant bee a bad thing... - but one bug which is very easy to fix, is if you are moving right and you press left and vise versa, you die. It is the same with up and down.
I thought that maybe when everyone has got more experience there should be a competition as to who could make the best game from the bascecode, just like your snake game.

Swede    122
Hey
I'm there!
I will continue to improve my game with new features until the new project start.

It's great fun this game making business...

// Swede

Edited by - Swede on August 16, 2001 2:27:35 AM

tripnotize    122
Well that was fun, thanks teej! I added a cool musical sound track and I''m working on making it a two player game now. Perhaps over the internet, but for now just on one computer.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
WOOHOO!
I did it!
I now actually have something that could be said to more or less resemble a tetris-clone.

I just can''t wait for the next project.

You''re doing a great job Teej!!!
Thnx.

MAD_Mask    122
DarkTerrax:
Great Stuff man, I realy learned from your code.
But it is preaty big.... and it doesn't have explanations... and because of that is somme how hard to falow ( for me ) but still , is great .
The Mask

Edited by - MAD_Mask on August 15, 2001 5:31:54 PM

FragLegs    122
TheTramp:

I''m glad you liked my game. It was, in fact, meant to be a Nibbles clone (but with better graphics). As for the pressing right while moving left and vice versa, you are supposed to die when you do that. Otherwise, you''d be travelling all over yourself, which is one of the conditions for death in Nibbles. Thanks for the feedback, though. I might add some more levels in the near future, but real school (as oppossed to summer school) is about to start again, so it might be in the far future. I had a great idea for a new Tetris game that I''ll be working on as soon as I get home (I''m on vacation now).

FragLegs

TheTramp    122
When I did a snake clone (very basic, on my calculator), I received the same comment, so it should just ignore keypresses in the opposite direction, but I guess it is just personal taste.

videns    122
I redid my clone because it was sort of bad...well not bad, just minimal. So it now has spiffy graphics, sounds, a high score class (using the STL''s multimap container), menus, and a cool font that I found somewhere. The clone is called Rankris. You can check it out on my page.

Strangely enough, I redid this *before* looking at DarkTerrax''s clone, but some of the features we implemented are similar. Needless to say, I''m sure we implemented them differently. Great minds...

videns

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Can i have direct input in another thread than the window thread??? this will work? (i think so) and when the input thread processes the keyboard and mouse messages it must protect the data (3d objects etc...) with a mutex right?? so the render thread dont mess up with the input thread?

Can anyone give me a light or som code??

(sorry bad english)

PROMAG

wrenhal    122
HEY, I remember a while back some people saying they were going to translate these tuts to OpenGL or maybe even to use Java or such. Has anyone done this yet????

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

Swede    122
Hey everybody!
It''s with a very heavy mind that I have to realise that Teej probably not is coming back, or can I be wrong?

Anyway, I have made some improvements to my Tetris clone. Some of the features now included are multiplayer over a network, main and options menu, highscore and more...

The game and source code can be downloaded at:
http://hem.bredband.net/magwal/Games.html

Take care everybody and remember to always live life to the fullest!

//Swede

Le0    122
Finaly i did it!! after much troubles and other stuff i completed my first game !!! cheers Swede also your code helped me a lot, i hope you dont mind i looked at it to understand some stuffs. you can get my tetris here : http://leodido.homeip.net/bnl , nothing marvellous its just the normal tetris

"The bible is probably the most genocidal book ever written!" Noam Chomsky

theSparko    122
Well, I have completed mine as well. Sort of. I mean it fulfilled all the basic guidelines, but there''s no way I''m going to leave it as is. I need to add sounds and levels and improve the gameplay among other things.

The game and code aren''t hosted yet, but I''ll do that later.

If you still read this Teej, I would like to thank you so much. I understand that this must have taken a lot of work, but look at how much it has helped everyone. If it wasn''t for you I might have given up on game programming... nah.

Thank you anyways for making the journey a little easier.

Your Game Wizard Apprentice,

-the§parko-

gavin_burt    122
Finished. I''ve got all the basics: intro screen with instructions, game play, moving pieces, improved user input, sounds, scoring and levels, etc. I''ve still got lots of plans to improve things but I can honestly now say that I have a playable game.

Thanks Teej this tutorial helped me learn a lot.

Wrexsoul    122
I didn''t really follow the tutorials all too closely when writing my own tetris clone as they were more useful as a reference, but I certainly would never have accomplished as much as I did if they were not available, let alone finish it.

Three cheers for Teej for putting in the effort he did in helping out us newbies.

Ice-T    122
Maybe I missed a post but is the Blocks and Lines game supposed to get Game Over each time a block stops moving or hits the ground? BTW, thanks again Teej.

[edited by - Ice-T on July 19, 2003 4:11:03 PM]