Which College Should I Go?

Started by
8 comments, last by Vongwarmastr 14 years, 4 months ago
Hi, everyone, I am a computer science freshman in a small college, I find here a little disappointing, little to learn and going to LAC for a computer science student seems not a good choice. I am going to transfor to a university which computer science major is better. Do you guys have any advice? Is it a bad choice for cs majors to attend to a LAC? I am really confused and at sea. Thanks a lot!!!!
Advertisement
I'm also looking at schools.

Got Full Sail and Digipen on the short list of options right now.

Which is better?
Quote:Original post by Vongwarmastr
I'm also looking at schools.

Got Full Sail and Digipen on the short list of options right now.

Which is better?

Thank you. I also want to be a game developer
Is Full Sail good? I heard a lot of bad reviews about that school and it is a 2-year degree school. BTW, I am going to graduate school after that.

[Edited by - LifePrimer on November 29, 2009 1:15:25 PM]
I think you should look at standard 4 year colleges (State Colleges or Private) and look at their Computer Science, Engineering, Math degrees. You don't need to have a 'game programming/design' degree to be a game programmer/designer (Not saying you don't need to know how to code to be a coder, however!).

I know what I've read of schools like Digipen, and I don't really see why anyone would really opt to go there, but this is all in my opinion and I can't really say what's right for you.

EDIT: Oh, and before he enters himself!

The advice of Tom Sloper: Link
I would listen to Kalnos. If you look at any game programmer job openings, they usually want a degree in computer science or equivalent, so some degree in game programming would probably work, but you are better off with just computer science. Once you have computer science, you should be able to easily learn any necessary tools you would use on the job pretty easily. Also if you don't happen to find a job in game programming, if you have a computer science degree at least you'll have other windows besides just game programming.

I have been researching this all for about half a year now. I graduate from high school soon and I made my final decision to go to Colorado School of Mines.
--Dbproguy - My Blog - Tips, Opinions and Reviews about C++, Video Games, and Life
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson44.htm

This is a Breaking In question, I believe...

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Kalnos
I think you should look at standard 4 year colleges (State Colleges or Private) and look at their Computer Science, Engineering, Math degrees. You don't need to have a 'game programming/design' degree to be a game programmer/designer (Not saying you don't need to know how to code to be a coder, however!).

I know what I've read of schools like Digipen, and I don't really see why anyone would really opt to go there, but this is all in my opinion and I can't really say what's right for you.

EDIT: Oh, and before he enters himself!

The advice of Tom Sloper: Link

Thank you all very much! Refreshed me! So I need to go to a university which CS is better?
Thanks for advice.

I had planned on getting a degree in computer science one way or another as a fall back plan.

Any good schools in Florida? I know USF offers some stuff in that area but that's a bit of a drive =/

I'm attracted to both Full Sail and Digipen because they have games focused programs. I would think I would be more likely to get a job with some paper signed by them.

For Full Sail I would go for the Hugely quick pace they move at. Getting in and out real fast would be nice and from what I hear that school is top notch, they don't use bad equipment.

For Digipen I would like to go there because they are games focused and slow pace. Being able to work and school at the same time would help with cost in a big way.

If I went to a normal 4 year college I would not really have to worry about cost I guess... Play my cards right publix and I might be able to get a degree for free :)
But I would lose the game focus and bragging rights of going to a games school.

Hmmm.... o.O

EDIT: I'm going to look at the link you posted kalnos, thanks.
Quote:Original post by Vongwarmastr
If I went to a normal 4 year college I would not really have to worry about cost I guess... Play my cards right publix and I might be able to get a degree for free :)
But I would lose the game focus and bragging rights of going to a games school.

You're not "losing" a game focus, you're "gaining" a more well rounded computer science education that a LOT of employers value. Who are these bragging right with that you're talking about? Friends? It certainly doesn't grant any advantage for getting a job in the game industry.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
The "bragging rights" I referred to was actually making it through a tough school such as full sail :)

I was mostly just joking though lol.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement