Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Anonymous Poster

Terrain & Poly Count

Guest Anonymous Poster
Doh. I was playing with the terrain demo. I looked and noticed it handles movement across terrain edges...but PR is the one who actually does the rendering.

So I can stop the movement, but not the rendering...any tips?

What about storing the terrain data in memory, and page it in as the player leaves one square, load the next square?

Maybe have 'portals' between the squares, similar to a fps game that pauses momentarily, and loads the next chunk in...

dunno...maybe possible.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Chris, is there not a way to keep the terrain from looping? For an island based game that puts a big damper on the useability of the terrain engine

thanks,
andrew welch

Is there a limit to the size of the terrain? I.E if its a for instance really large island, how would it be possible to put enough water around it if there was a size restriction etc?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Is it possible to stop the terrain from looping around? That is, when the camera goes west past the left boundary, it starts going west at the right boundary...this is neat, but absolutely NOT what I need!!!

How hard would it be to disable in the registered version if it's not easy through the API?

Also, I get 60 FPS quite easily on my system with the D3D Terrain demo. If I bought the registered and got the standard version of PR, and increased the line of sight 200%, how would that impact the framerate? 300%?

Thanks.

There is no limit to the terrain size. Remember that the world size doesn't affect the frame rate, only how far you can see away.

You can create say a 1024x1024 landscape and put a bunch of islands in the middle, to make a real time version of Riven