Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stevenmarky

ID3DXFont please help me

I don''t want to use the other font thing (CD3DFont class) included in the directx installation because you can''t pass in a rect as a parameter to clip the text, which I definatly need.. so I want to use ID3DXFont (even though its slower) but I am having trouble setting it up and using it. If anyone has sucessfully used it could you post your code here, from setting up the font interface to writing a simple message to the screen..........please or is there any examples or tutorials on the net? p.s. why are there no microsoft DirectX examples that use the ID3DXFont interface? (or are there?)

c''mon guys! (or gals?)
Has no-one used the ID3DX interface..

Most of the times when I have posted on gamedev I have found a solution to my problem before I have finished writing
(It helps to think things through)
not this time though

I''ve got another DX question (if no-one wants to answar my previous question):
why can I only load .bmp files from resources into textures, when I can load about 15 different file formats if I load them straight from file using createtexturefromfile??? What if I want to use a .tga as resource (compile it into my .exe) and load it into my texture, is it possible?
The only reason I want tga, and not .bp is because I can have 32-bit .tga''s that support alpha-layers ----- is there a way to use 2 bitmaps, one normal one alpha-layer, to load into a texture ?

For your original question, it''s pretty easy. This should work without too many modifications:

// at initialization

LOGFONT lf;
HFONT hFont;
lf.lfHeight = 62;
lf.lfWidth = 0;
lf.lfEscapement = 0;
lf.lfOrientation = 0;
lf.lfWeight = FW_BOLD;
lf.lfItalic = lf.lfUnderline = lf.lfStrikeOut = 0;
lf.lfCharSet = 0;
lf.lfOutPrecision = lf.lfClipPrecision = lf.lfQuality = 0;
lf.lfPitchAndFamily = 0;
sprintf(lf.lfFaceName, "Arial");

hFont = CreateFontIndirect(&lf);
if(FAILED(D3DXCreateFont(m_pDevice, hFont, &m_pFont)))
{
m_pFont = NULL;
}

DeleteObject(hFont);

// at shutdown

if(m_pFont)
{
m_pFont->Release();
m_pFont = NULL;
}

// to draw text

if(m_pFont)
{
char str[] = "This is a test";

RECT r;
r.left = 1;
r.top = 1;
r.bottom = 60;
r.right = 180;

m_pFont->DrawTextA(str, -1, &r, DT_LEFT | DT_WORDBREAK, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 255, 255));
}

quote:
Original post by stevenmarky
I''ve got another DX question (if no-one wants to answar my previous question):
why can I only load .bmp files from resources into textures, when I can load about 15 different file formats if I load them straight from file using createtexturefromfile??? What if I want to use a .tga as resource (compile it into my .exe) and load it into my texture, is it possible?
The only reason I want tga, and not .bp is because I can have 32-bit .tga''s that support alpha-layers ----- is there a way to use 2 bitmaps, one normal one alpha-layer, to load into a texture ?

U can use D3DXLoadTextureFromResource() to load TGA, JPEG, etc.. from the exe.

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm