alien file type

Started by
5 comments, last by z_yang 22 years, 8 months ago
has anyone ever heard of the .pcx file type, what kind of application do i need to open a pcx file
Big Z the ChickenChoker
Advertisement
Any graphics program should be able to open it. Hell, I bet even Windows Paint can do it.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
PCX is an image file format... I think it was originally used by the ZSoft Paintbrush program, although I''ve never used that program itself. Most middle-to-high-end image programs will open it (such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop.)

Gaah!
Wow, PCX is really really old.

DPAINT used to do PCX pretty good, and I''m sure almost any half way serious paint program can load it, too...

It''s not really a lot more than a simple RAW Format with a header and 768 Bytes of Palette Info at the end. (It think the header was around 96 Bytes)... Strip that, extract the last 768 Bytes as a palette and get the rest as raw... done you are.

Of course there are special formats for different Picture sizes, can all be found in the header... if I''m not mistaking it even had a simple RLE compression option of some sort.

BTW, you can get the specs for it on www.wotsit.org.

cya
May you live in interesting times...
I think that PCX uses RLE-package method so the image-information isn''t in RAW-mode, though there might be many versions of PCX..

Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...
enough about pcx, i just bumped into another weird file type .cvr, i did some search on google and that worsit website and found nothing. i hope you more experienced developers out there know something about this
Big Z the ChickenChoker
My googling efforts showed that it is a file format for fax cover sheets. I couldnt find any actual specifications, but if you have a fax modem with appropriate software you could probably open it with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement