Beginner Programmers looking to make First GAME

Started by
14 comments, last by Spindle 22 years, 8 months ago
I know this belongs in Help Wanted. But all of the beginners, (me included) hang out here. I started programming C++ 8 months ago. 3 months ago I started learning Opengl and DirectX. I have made games in VisualBasic such as, pong, a small rpg, bricks, tetris using Windows to do all the graphics. But now I want to make small games using DirectX and C++. If you are a begginer programmer like I am, and want to make a game, post! I believe that once you make your first game, its all up hill from there. I first think we should make a simple game, Pong. Pong is simple that it uses two paddles, and one ball. I was also thinking once we have pong out of the way we can add an Space Invaders touch to it. Meaning as you are vollying the ball back and forth, your ball is sort of a gun. Where you have to shoot your opponnet. I am a beginner just like you, ready to make my first real game with DirectX. Direct3D will be for the graphics. DirectAudio for music and sound, and DirectInput for Input. I know DirectDraw would be better for the graphics in this 2D case, its just DirectDraw as be "abloished" in the 8th version of DirectX. Remember I am not the boss of anything at all. I am just a programmer who wants to make a game with other people. I would like eveyones feedback. This is about experince and accomplshing a making your real first game. Anyways post you feedback or post if you want to join. If you are really serious about joining e-mail me at SpindleTec@aol.com. Include your: NAME. AGE. EXPERINCE (Worked on another team before) WHAT YOU KNOW. (At least a little C or C++) KNOW DIRECTX (how much, which apis, 3D, Sound, Input, Play) Any Ideas you HAVE. FAVORITE GAME EVER PLAYED. Thats it. Your in!
Addicted Technolagy Raven Engine - Join Us :)
Advertisement
Hmm... sounds like you want to code an "Arkanoid"

(Paddle and ball are in it and you "shoot" blocks that disapear after the ball hits ''em ).

Problem with your "Shoot the opponent" would be that how is he supposed to reflect the ball... if you hit him... kill or reflect?

Your''e going about the path I went in the begining... Pong Clone, then I had a "Snake" Clone (QBasic and on all new Nokia Cellphones), Arkanoid and after that I did an Asteroids Clone.

So if you need anything, mail me. I''d be happy to support you with whatever I can.

cya

May you live in interesting times...
No. While your playing regular pong vollying the ball back and forth you shoot each other. Your paddle is a gun. If you hit your opponet you get 20 points, if you miss you lose one. No one dies. Its who ever wins the volly gets the most points, 50. This shooting idea adds a whole new level of gameplay for pong and makes it that more exciting.
I want to help you. I might not help much but I will catch on quickly.
Jason Koebler
No experience
I know c++ but no graphics yet
No direct x but plan on picking up tricks of the windows game programming gurus and game programming for dummies
Final Fantasy IX, High Heat 2000, Command and Conquer series
I have a good idea but im not telling yet.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
Sounds like fun !!! Count me in

- Ritesh O' Varma
- Average experience
- Know c++/visual c++ well
- Know DirectX 8 (3D, Graphics, Sound, Input)
- Don't have any ideas
- Final Fantasy IX !!!!
- riteshov@hotmail.com

Sephiroth The Third

"Some that live deserve to die and some that are dead deserve to live"

Edited by - sephiroth03 on August 10, 2001 12:15:49 PM
Sephiroth
Hey, so far our group is working on a 2d side scroller shoot ''em up made in DirectDraw called RoboTron X. Ok maybe not the best name. So far we have a working game, and its only 10-15% done. You can shoot, walk (duh) fly with your jetpack. If you want to know more about the game an looking to join e-mail me SpindleTec@aol.com. We have 2 web designers, 4 programmers, and 1 composer. We are looking for more people. I''ll send you the exe of the game, and if you like it and want to join I''ll send you the source.
count me in

Graeme Kerry
19, uk
reasonable with vb
started with c and c++ month ago

graeme.kerry@btinternet.com

graeme
-------------------------0 A.D.
I would also like to join....

Aaron Williams
good with vb and getting there with C/C++
I can do Direct X(I think?)Also know some HTML
If we are going to start a programming group,
we should get a site up... even if it is just us posting
what we have done on whatever game we are working on at
the time.
scout07@yahoo.com
count me in
kam
C/C++ some opengl
no direct x but i will learn
no ideas
final fantasy 9,
universalsoldier@strike.fsnet.co.uk
thats my msn messenger, and email address

Edited by - universalkam on August 12, 2001 9:42:51 AM
Sounds interesting, so I would like to join...

* Augustov Kahn
* haven''t programmed any games but I am interested in doing so.
* c/c++, vb, delphi,html
* no directx experience
* have good gaming ideas but don''t know how to use them yet.
* favorite games: Recoil, Tribes, Doom 3d, Fifa soccer 99.
* augustov3@mail.com
* If you guys would like to form a team, then I think we should * have a website up for updating members. I can help with
* creating a website, since I know HTML and some web programming * i.e(perl/cgi and stuff).

"I haven''''t failed, I''''ve found 10,000 ways that don''''t work."
--Thomas Edison--

"I haven''t failed, I''ve found 10,000 ways that don''t work." --Thomas Edison--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement