• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MorDuc

programmin windows?

This topic is 3177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

allright.., so would like to get my hands dirty with some windows programming. but when it comes to which book, im somewhat in doubt. i've been looking at two books from the same auther programming windows by charles petzold which using c and programming windows with c# by charles Petzold... again in the description it says that for the C# book, that you should know some c or c++, which i do. so at the same time i get the chance to learn a new language. any reasons why i should choose the old programmig windows book which uses c? regards morten

Advertisement
The C# one will most likely teach you how to use the .NET foundation classes. The C one will teach you how to use the Windows API (native win32 stuff). Technically they are different things, but it all boils down to what you want to learn, really. If you want to make GUI stuff like an editor, then C# and .NET is the more common approach. Good luck.

C# is the way. if you need something more specific dealing with win api then just google it :) plenty of sources out there.

have a nice day.

For the sake of your sanity, I'd also go for the C# one. WinForms controls wrap their Win32 counterparts so if need be you can still use some Win32 black magic to squeeze the most out of these controls, though for the most part you shouldn't need to.

That said, before buying a book you could always download Visual C# Express and muck around with the form designer a bit - it's pretty intuitive, and the documentation is solid. This may help your choice. [smile]

thanks for your replies.
now that I've almost decided on going the c# way. I have a few more questions.

are there any other books you would recommend other than the one c# book i suggested.

Any other books for what, specifically? Since almost every C# book covers Windows programming (aka forms programming when it comes to C#), you could probably check out almost any of them. And while it is moving a bit further from traditional Windows API coding, Microsoft WPF sure is slick. If you have ever used the older Visual Studios and wondered how modern developers are making non-traditional Windows forms (such as those that have odd shapes, non-traditional buttons and interface elements, etc.), WPF is how. It also transitions into Silverlight programming if you have any interest in that. Unfortunately, I have not gone through any of the current WPF books, so I can't really give a good reference. Standard Windows Forms in .NET are being phased-out, though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!