• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Durakken

Hex Map Making...

This topic is 3097 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I'm converting a normalish global map and converting it to a hex grid to work more easily on laying out where cities and such are... So the problem was first scale... which was trying to get enough cells for the scale I wanted which was 1km / 1cell... which I finally figured out a somewhat reasonable size of 300km^2 which is still huge, but workable... Then I got presented with a new problem what should i do with the black line that separates water and land...which is massive in this scale. If I expand the land to fill it, the contour is destroyed...if I fill it with water well i don't really see a problem other than seems a bit meh to just do that... http://durakkenstudios.com/dedilancityarea.gif So any suggestions on what to do?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
This might belong in the art forum. Personally I'd use thinner lines and/or make them beige.

thanks for the suggesting not related to the question >.>

I purposefully made them black... and they are only 3px in width. which is like super small... at 4 times the size.

Perhaps you should try explaining what you are trying to do in a different manner.

If you are saying that the black lines on the edge of the squares end up measuring *# many kilometers, I'd have to say ignore them since they don't really exist. Just pretend nothing really exists above or below those lines. Or better yet, put the lines on a different layer so you can toggle them on/off (Should work for BOTH a graphics program like Photoshop and in your game - not sure which you are talking about right now).

See the huge white area between the green and the blue? That's a line that denotes the border between the land and the water.

I'm asking suggestions what should I do about this space...If I add more land it messes up the contour of the land, but if I add more water it just don't feel right and the inner one for the lake makes the lake bigger or way small...

Quote:
Original post by Durakken
what should i do with the black line that separates water and land...
Quote:
Original post by Durakken
See the huge white area between the green and the blue? That's a line that denotes the border between the land and the water.

Pretty sure that's why you lost us. I vote for looping through every hex, finding the nearest non-white hex and making it the same color. :) Though you might consider leaving some of it white or beige, since it looks more like a coast that way.

Quote:
Original post by lmelior
I vote for looping through every hex, finding the nearest non-white hex and making it the same color. :) Though you might consider leaving some of it white or beige, since it looks more like a coast that way.

Loop? I'm not using a program ^.^

I considered using a beige for 1 hex on some denoting coast...

There are 10 cells between them

I also don't see how that would help, making the next closest cell the same color... that would still leave 7 cells...

Doesn't have to be 1 hex away, you just check the ring of 6 hexes around the spot, if they are all white then you check the 12 hexes around those, if they are all white then you check the 18 hexes around those, etc. Basically I just meant make them meet halfway.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!