• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
essial

Any hobby NES programmers out there?

This topic is 3245 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't know if you guys remember my NES project I announced a few months ago, but I have been working on it in my free time constantly since that announcement. Here are some screens from it for a reminder: http://img268.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=emulator1.png Anyway, although I'm obviously still working on some issues, I've pretty much got most of the system figured out. Now that I know what I know, I'm porting the code over to C# and .Net 4/DirectX11 (I know, but XP is becoming obsolete and I like the new framework, plus windows 7 runs faster than XP on the same machine so there is little reason for most to stick to XP now). The reason for the re-write is this: Although I consider my emulator to be more accurate (although you cannot tell from the screens since I obviously don't have all the bugs squashed), it still isn't accurate enough. For example, it fails on the extremely picky timing test roms (that work on real NESs), as well as the scanline trick tests (all emulators I've tried also fail). What I plan on doing is re-designing the architecture to get as close to the physical hardware as possible -- including unclean analog signals and pin connections. Obviously this will require a decent machine to run, but the whole point of this emulator is an as-true-to-form emulation (or is it simulation at this point?) as possible. I'm also integrating full debugging support as well for stepping/tracing, stack viewing, progressive disassembly, etc. What I don't know is if anyone would be interested in me writing an IDE of sorts for creating NES roms as well, complete with tracing/debug support. Not an NES game maker by any means -- just a VERY stripped down visual studio for NES. It's actually quite easy to write one (much easier than emulating a NES accurately). If so, I'd like to get a few people on Skype or MSN Live so I can run features by them and let them test releases. Obviously the system requires is someone with Vista/7 with .Net 4 beta and DX11 installed so I don't expect many (if anyone) to apply.

Advertisement
I've done quite a bit of NES programming, but have failed to finish an NES game, as it's hard to find anyone with interest in developing an 8-bit game that would only ever run in an emulator. And if you're abandoning XP compatibility, I wish you good luck in gathering a sufficient user base.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!