I'm proud of this (2D anthro avatar system)

Started by
22 comments, last by Fuji 14 years, 3 months ago
The same guys that sell those tablets also sell touch screen tablet pads, IE turns any monitor into a touch screen surface your pen can use. I haven't tested this yet, but I think in the next year or so I'm going to take my second monitor, put a scratch resistant pad on it, and test it out - much cheaper than getting a touch screen monitor, and if the results work, the monitor I'd be testing it on is kinda old so its no big deal if it does get scratched to shit.

Seems like a plausable solution to the high cost right now. This is one I've looked up (I'm sure I've seen some better ones :P)

Click me!!!

With this kinda setup, old monitor, or cheapie (you can purchase some pretty decent 19 inch screens now for under 100 bucks) you could then run a screen duplication setup, set one up on your lap (or angle idealy?) then view what your doing as your doing it, looking down, or looking up.
Advertisement
Ooh cool, I never saw those before. Their art use would be somewhat limited by the fact that they don't have pressure sensitivity, but that wouldn't bother me personally. I would think if something was going to get scratched it would be this screen pad, not the monitor you put it on, but that's just a guess at how it would work.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

cintiq's are really the only alternative to a wacom if you want to look where you draw, but they're still quite expensive, do try to get used to a wacom, that's the first step that'll speed your workprocess up by a tenfold.

It might come as a suprise, but I never draw traditionally, I'm mainly a digital artist, modeller, texturer whatever you want to call it :), but I always pick up knowledge whenever I can, and drawing is a part of texturing too I'd guess.

don't try to think of it as being in a hurry, think of it as a more relaxed way of drawing at first, concentrating on the details might feel like relaxing, but you're concentrating hard, slowing down the progress, afraid of taking bold design choices.

The reason why a bunch of silhuette are a great way to start is because the silhuette usually is the most important thing about something, in this case a character, and they're really quick to make, it's not about detail, its about shapes, you never get locked down, you just make them naturally and then you go back and look at them all and find the ones that seems to work the best.
-----------------------------------------------------www.agonyart.com
I had trouble with the disconnect between tablet and screen at first, but the more you play with it the more comfortable it becomes. I've actually found digital work to relax my process somewhat, with the easy undo feature I got more comfortable with things like silhouette thumbnails and longer single lines...it's worth trying out at any rate.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Quote:cintiq's are really the only alternative to a wacom if you want to look where you draw, but they're still quite expensive, do try to get used to a wacom, that's the first step that'll speed your workprocess up by a tenfold.

Isn't a Cintiq made by Wacom?
Visit my personal page, and follow the Rat King on Facebook & Twitter!
Quote:Original post by mineralwasser
Quote:cintiq's are really the only alternative to a wacom if you want to look where you draw
Isn't a Cintiq made by Wacom?
Yes, they are.

Has anyone tried using one of those DIY (old LCD + infra-red camera) multi-touch boxes in this context?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Sorry about that, It's quite the common word we'd use, saying wacom for a wacom tablet is quite usual, but saying "wacom cintiq" is not, even though it is a wacom product. :P
I use an early tabletPC made by Motion Computing so that I can draw directly on the screen. Although the Navisis EZ Canvas Screen sounds nice - and you definitely can't argue with the price (a TabletPC costs as much as a Wacom Cintiq monitor - about $2000) - I am a bit concerned about penpoint-cursor accuracy. Although my tablet is very precise, it does not have the pin-point precision of the classical mediums. I can only assume that since the stylus now has *two* barriers (the glass of the monitor and the protective cover), where you place the tip of the pen and where the strokes actually appear will seem doubly off - especially when drawing/viewing at an angle.

The newest tabletPC model can be found at http://www.motioncomputing.com/products/tablet_pc_J34.asp . If someday you do decide to get one (which I recommend, since I love my old one so much :) ) make *sure* to get the optional View Anywhere Display. It's not exactly perfect outside in the sun (though it may be better in the new models) but it certainly removes any display issues you might run into while indoors and lounging on the couch with the tablet held at weird angles.
Even the high price cintiqs wont have perfect resolution, nor will they be lag free, there is some input delay in it.

but the upside is, it is the best delay and resolution you can get on a screenbased tablet, and you get pressure sensitivity aswell as pen tilting.

the days my pressure sensitivity broke on the pen were some of the worst, its an important feature of a tablet.
Still think it looks monochromatic? [grin] This represents a triumph of the programmer's effort as well as mine, because this character was created entirely within the game and exported using the game's export feature.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement